Skip to main content

Gearin' up for a Snowstorm = Down-Home Comfort Food

This weekend has been a whirlwind of activity! Including a lot of fun activities! (Minus the dishes. Haha.)






But before I tell you about my weekend, let me tell you about our delicious dinner tonight! The Midwest is preparing itself for a huuuuuuuge snowstorm later this week. Of course, today it was mid-30s and sunny, one of the nicest days we've had in several weeks. But I'm sure the terror of the storm is to come. I'm secretly hoping for a snow day or two.


Anyways, whenever I think of horrible no-good very bad weather, I think of comfort food. One of my ultimate comfort foods from my childhood is chicken pot pie. My mom and I would have these for dinner a lot when my dad was out of town on business. I remember she would scoop out half the pot pie and then give me the half that had the little container. That was the best part! It came in its own pan. (Nowadays, though, I couldn't imagine sharing a pot pie! I want the goods all to myself. I guess I was much smaller then... a 7-year old doesn't really eat as much as a 22-year old. Did I just disclose my age? Uh oh.)


So I set out to make a homemade pot pie. Something I've never done before. I mean, the Schwann man does it pretty well, so why try to fix sumthin' that ain't broke? (Gosh, I sound like some of my students.)


Sorry for the horrible lighting. I just wish it were daylight all the time so I could get decent pics!
I followed this recipe over at Annie's Eats, pretty much exactly. Because I didn't really change anything, I don't feel comfortable posting her recipe here, so go check it out! She's got some gorgeous pics, too.


However, I did cut the recipe in half, and I did not make my own pie crust. My man, the Pillsbury Doughboy, helped me out in that area. (I know, what is the world coming to?)


The filling is made by sauteeing onion, garlic, potato, mushrooms, and red pepper in some butter, and then adding shredded chicken and peas. Oh, and the homemade-cream-of-chicken soup-sauce. (Please note that I did have to add quite a bit of milk to thin down the sauce to the consistency I prefer, if you try the recipe. It just depends on how thick you like your filling.)





The verdict? Super-delicious! My Business Man and I gobbled these right up, and even have some leftovers for another dinner this week. My favorite bites were the bites of mushroom, which ironically were my Business Man's least favorite bites. (He hates the fungi.) We did both wish there was a crust on the bottom, too, but in reality it is a lot healthier without that bottom crust. 


Of course, I couldn't make a type of pie without making some cinnamon-sugar pie crust snacks with the leftover dough. My mom always did this when I was little. So so good!


Flaky, buttery, cinnamon-sugary... mmm, mmm good.


Anyways, back to my weekend. (For those that are interested.)


We spent Saturday afternoon helping some friends move and then devouring pizza with said friends. Yum. (Yes, that was three days in a row for pizza, if you were counting.)


Later that night, we discovered a precious gem in the Bean Town, the Dollar Movies! On the other side of town, you can go see a new(-ish) movie for only $2! Yes, it's called the Dollar Movies, and yes it costs $2. Don't ask me who came up with that logic. But it's brilliant! The other theater in town (right across the street from where we live) costs $8.50 a ticket! So if we can exercise some patience with the  new flicks, we can see four movies for the price of one at the normal theater.


One more exciting thing that happened Saturday night is that one of my BFF's from college got engaged yesterday! I am so, so happy and excited for Jen and her fiance! She is so special to me, and I am ecstatic to help her plan the big day. 



Jen is on the left. Did I mention she is a twin? You can meet Michelle in this post. [Side note: Can I have my tan back? Pleeeeeeease?]


Now on to Sunday. It's been a pretty chill day... the usual Sunday school, Church, Sunday nap. A few hours of school work. A nice dinner shared with my Business Man. Now we are settling in with a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie.


Can't believe the weekend's about over already! Hope y'all have a great week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);