Skip to main content

The Best Friday Ever

Yesterday I was privileged with the opportunity to play 'hooky' from school. Okay, not really, but I attended a Track & Field Coaching Clinic down in Columbus. I was technically "working," just not in the classroom.


It was an overnight trip, so my Business Man decided to "work from his computer" on Friday and come with me. We left late Thursday afternoon, and of course just as we were leaving it started to snow. So the trip took a little longer than usual. Pretty typical, when it comes to traveling for us. 


We arrived at the Hilton, where the conference was located. Now, my school is pretty awesome, and paid the cost of the hotel room for me. All I had to do was check-in, fill out a tax exemption form, and I'd be good to go.


However, when we went to check in, they couldn't find my name in the system. Anywhere. And they couldn't find the names of the other coaches from my school that should be there either. Hmmmm... and I started to wonder, "Maybe this isn't the same hotel we are staying at?"


Now, I knew we weren't staying at the Hilton, obviously. And there's like a billion other hotels nearby. And I didn't have my other coaches' phone numbers. Great. Maybe we could just camp out in the car.


So, we began the trek all the way back through the hotel to the car, when I ran into one of my fellow coaches. And I said a quiet prayer of thanks to the Lord for letting us cross paths at that very moment. He informed me that we were actually staying at the Courtyard, about 2 blocks down the road. I guess I should start opening my ears a little better in conversation, ehh?


So, we finally made it to the Courtyard, and got ourselves checked in. By this time it was past 8 o'clock. And we still needed to get dinner. So much for making it to any coaching sessions that night. Hmmph. 


Our room looked like this. I took this picture from the hotel's website.
However, we did dine at one of my absolute favorite restaurants, the Cheesecake Factory! I just love this place... I've never had something bad here. Everything from the super-delish brown bread when you sit down, to the extensive list of entrees and appetizers, to the oh-so-tempting dessert case. 

I had the BBQ chicken pizza, with gouda cheese. Gosh, it was so good. And of course a slice of cheesecake to go. I went with the Chocolate Cake Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake. I took a picture of it (as I ate it in bed, haha...) but my camera battery charger has mysteriously gone awol. So this picture will have to suffice.





My Business Man and I were supposed to "share" it, but he didn't even want any once we got back to the hotel! The man does not know what he is missing.


Anyways, one of the best parts about this trip was that my first session on Friday morning was not even until 11am! That meant sleeping in, running, and going out for breakfast. 


After a lazy morning with my Business Man, spent at Panera Bread, I headed to the conference. I learned all about making coaching "fun", and the art and science of distance running. I really enjoyed the conference, and just being around other running-minded people, since I don't get a lot of that in the Bean Town. I wouldn't say that I learned a ton about distance running, because the presentations mostly followed the training plans that I followed in college. It felt good to know what they were talking about though!


After the conference was over about 4pm, I met up with my Business Man again. Who was supposedly "working" all day, but texted me about 1:30 saying he was in a movie. Haha.


We hit up a few shops, and then grabbed an early dinner at another one of my favs, California Pizza Kitchen! (Yes, I did have pizza two nights in a row. I might have even had BBQ Chicken Pizza two nights in a row. And yes, I loved it.  If I had to choose any foods to eat for the rest of my life, my two picks would be pizza and ice cream.)


Of course, we also had to make a pitstop at Trader Joe's to stock up on some of our favorites, and try a few new things. I got some dark chocolate peanut butter cups that are so delectable. They are hiding on the top shelf of the cabinet. Because you know, if you have to get a chair out to reach them, you will eat less. Yea right.


We finally made our way back to the Bean Town late last night, and are getting ourselves situated this morning. We enjoyed some blackberry pancakes, and now I'm gearing up for a run. Then we're off to help some friends move this afternoon! Busy day.


I'm hoping to get cooking some more this week, so check back for a Chicken Pot Pie recipe! Perfect food for the winter doldrums...

Comments

Ah, the life of the young married couple w/o kids yet...where did the time go? :)
I made chicken pot pie this morning for supper tonight! I'm curious to see what yours looks like.

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);