Skip to main content

Strawberry Balsamic Bacon Pizza

Yes, that's right. Strawberries + balsamic + bacon on pizza? Don't knock it until you try it.





I have prepared this pizza no less than 5 times this summer, with full intentions of photographing it and blogging about it. Every time, we would be about halfway through the pizza when I would remembered "Gah! I was gonna take pictures! Oh well, it's too delicious... next time!"


I don't know where the self-control came from, but this week I managed to get a few pictures before devouring our new favorite pie.


What makes this pizza so delish? All the different flavors - the tangy sauce, sweet strawberries, salty bacon, fresh cilantro. It's seriously phenomenal. 


The sauce starts with some reduced balsamic vinegar. Cook it over medium heat until it is reduced by half, and becomes thick and almost syrupy.


Just poured into the pan...

Reduced & ready to go!
Then, mix it up with some strawberry jam and a bit of sriracha chili sauce. A little bit of sweet with a little bit of heat. That's what makes it so good.


Saucy-sauce
Then the sauce goes onto the crust.



Now time for the fun stuff! First we've got chicken.




Then some sliced onion. 




Then the CHEESE. Just simple mozzarella. (Just make sure you shred it yourself. Or recruit your Business Man to shred it for you. It tastes so much better.)



Then the strawberries! Dice 'em up real small.



And the bacon. Make sure it's thick-cut, crisp bacon. Why is bacon so good?



After a quick trip in the oven, all you gotta do is sprinkle it with a bit of fresh cilantro, and you are ready to dig in.





This is the pizza of the summer for us. We have homemade pizza for dinner about once a week, and this has been the flavor choice at least twice a month since May. Even if you're skeptical about strawberries on a pizza, give it a try.


I've been slicing my pizzas into strips lately... not only is it more fun to eat, but you can eat more without feeling like you're eating more. Just one more little sliver. (Except when you do that 5 times, it probably counteracts itself. Get what I'm sayin'?!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strawberry Balsamic Bacon Pizza
Servings/Yield: One 12-inch pizza

  • For the sauce
    • ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
    • ½ cup strawberry jam
    • 1 teaspoon sriracha chili sauce
  • For pizza
    • 1 ball pizza dough
    • 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
    • ½ cup thinly sliced yellow onion
    • 4-oz shredded mozzarella cheese
    • ½ cup diced strawberries
    • 4 slices thick-cut bacon, diced and cooked until crisp
    • 2-3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro

Method
Heat the balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat until simmering. Simmer 5 minutes, or until reduced in half and the vinegar is thick & syrupy. Combine reduced vinegar with strawberry jam and sriracha chili sauce.

Prepare pizza dough/crust, however your recipe indicates. (I use a pizza stone preheated in the oven for 30 minutes at 500*F.) Spread the sauce mixture onto your pizza crust. Top with chicken, onion, mozzarella cheese, strawberries, and bacon.

Bake the pizza 7-10 minutes at 500*F, until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro before serving.

Source: From Annie's Eats

Comments

Ali Mc said…
Sara this looks delightful! I am going to pin it right now :) thanks!

I've recently become addicted to balsamic :D

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);