Skip to main content

Freedom 5km and Celebrating the 4th!

Yesterday was the 4th of July. You were probably aware of that, due to the numerous photo uploads of fireworks on facebook, instagram, and other social media platforms. You probably were also aware that it was HOT. (At least in the Midwest.)


We had a great day. It started out with a run, some baking happened during the middle, and we finished off by celebrating with friends.


Starting with the run... it wasn't just any run - it was the Freedom 5km! This was my 'A' race of the summer, so I was hoping to PR and run sub-18:50. But... did I mention it was hot yesterday? As in, 85*F and full sun at the 9am start? Yea. Great for racing.


The start


Anyway, I set out to run my best despite the heat. My plan was to run 6:00 miles for as long as I could. I warmed up with a 2-mile jog, some plyos & striders, and then we were ready to go!


The first mile was not too bad, just got into the groove. 5:50 split. [Side note: that might be my fastest first mile, ever.] 


The second mile started to hurt a bit more, but I still ran a 5:58 split. Way under goal-pace, so I was excited.


Then the third mile. Ohhhhhh, the third mile. At this point we were on the Riverwalk trail and just had to make it back to the park. Which seriously seemed forever away. (Funny how you can run that 1-mile stretch any other day of the week and it flies by, but in the middle of a race, it drags on for eternity.) 


My body was rebelling against the heat at this point, and it felt like it took all my energy to just put one foot in front of the other. Combined with a few roly poly hills, this mile was miserable. I ended up running a 6:28 last mile. Yikes, talk about positive splitting! Not my ideal race strategy at all.


Struggling to the finish


I finished the race in 18:55... so close to my PR! I'll admit it, I was a bit upset that I was so close. Just 5 seconds! However, after talking to several of my running buddies after the race, I realized that it was really hot & humid. Everyone I talked to was majorly affected by the heat, most people by like 30-60 seconds. This was still only my second time to break 19:00 so I am happy about that! I need to find another 5km yet this summer (hopefully with some cooler temps) so I can attempt another PR.


I ended up 2nd female overall, and 25th out of 1100+ participants. (First place girl ran 17:50... she's a beast. She also ran for Ohio State. :-P) Funny thing is, my running buddy Amy and I went for a long cool-down and totally missed the awards ceremony. Usually, it takes forever to get the awards organized, so we figured we had plenty of time. Whoops!


After the race, I hightailed it home so we could prep for our 4th of July party. We had an open house and invited pretty much everyone we know in the Bean Town. We live just a block and a half from the park, where all the fireworks and festivities are, so it's a blast!


Of course, since I have the best job in the summer (aka no job), I spent some time on some Pinterest crafts so our house would be festive. 


Pinwheel garland

Festive wreath

Sparklers!


I also made beef burgers and turkey burgers. My Business Man did a great job grilling them.


Burger-making


And then the dessert. (What's a party without dessert?) I had a few cupcake orders so I whipped a few extra for the party. I was quite excited to use my Christmas gift cupcake stand for the first time!


Soft Sugar Cookies & Buckeye Cookies. (Ohhh Buckeye Cookies, my favorite in the whole world.)

The cupcakes! Confetti, Lemon, Red Velvet, and my newest flavor -  Vanilla Blueberry with Blueberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream. Yum!

All in all - running, cupcakes, friends... what more could a girl ask for?

Comments

Gossip Kitteh said…
Yum, everything looks delish! And the pinwheel garland is super cute!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);