Skip to main content

A Day in the Life... [of a teacher during summer break!]

I've been seeing some "Day in the Life" posts float around the interwebs and thought it'd be fun to partake. Here's how I spent my summer Tuesday.


6am - Alarm goes off so I can run early to 'beat the heat.' But... since I'm not meeting anyone to run, I immediately roll over and go back to sleep.


7:30am - I wake up for real, and make my way downstairs. I cook a gourmet breakfast for my Business Man (a bowl of microwaved instant oatmeal, so gourmet) and make myself a mug of iced coffee. Yum. After getting my own breakfast, I plop myself on the couch to watch the Today show.


9am - After spending an hour and a half in front of the TV and 'blogging', I decide I should do something productive. So I attempt to get started on some lesson planning and how to implement the common core standards for next year. Gross.






10:15am - Enough of that school stuff. I decide I should go to the gym and get my run on with Kathie Lee & Hoda. (Even though it's not that hot out.) Today was Tempo Tuesday and I ran 6.2 miles at 6:35 avg pace. The plan was to only run a 6-mile tempo, but I realized I was close to a 10km PR... so I ran 6.2 and finished in 40:49, a 4 second PR. But can I really count that? Hmmmm...


Rockin' out my new neon pink sports bra from Target, love it


12:30pm - After corework, stretching, and showering, I come home for lunch. My Business Man comes home for lunch a lot during the summer (to see me, or at least that's what I tell myself), so I get to see him for a few minutes, which is fun. Except he usually is a speed-eater and is back out the door in 10 minutes or less.


1:30pm - I head to the pool for an afternoon of fun in the sun. It was 84*F today, perfect laying out weather. I spent some time consulting the experts to craft a training plan for the fall, and then moved onto my book. Currently reading Mercy by Jodi Picoult.


Jack Daniels... the king of booze distance running


4pm - I leave the pool and head to the grocery store for parchment paper. (The one thing I forgot when I went to the store Sunday. Grrr.) But I forgot the store was having a HUGE 4-hour sale from 3pm-7pm, and ended up waiting in line to check out for a long time. No big deal, I don't have anywhere to be. Plus then I get to browse through all the magazines.


4:30pm - I arrive home and prepare pizza dough so it can rise before dinner. I also spend some time doing the dishes that have been accumulating all day, and I throw a load of laundry in. 


6:30pm - Not sure what happened since 4:30pm (probably sucked into the vortex of Pinterest or food blogs), but realize I better actually make the pizza so we can eat dinner. My Business Man arrives home around this time, too, so I get to ask him five bajillion questions about his day.


Recipe soon, I promise


8pm - I help my Business Man water the flowers. And by help, I mean sit outside and watch while he waters the flowers. And chat with the neighbors. Tonight, I was introduced to the little neighbor girl's pet grasshopper, Bruce. She was planning on taking him to bed with her. How sweet.


9pm - I come inside and plant myself on the couch with a bowl of ice cream. Or a cupcake. There are no cupcakes in the house tonight though, so ice cream it is. Since today's Tuesday, we watch Cupcake Wars. Funny, I start my day on the couch and end my day on the couch. 


10pm - I mosey up to bed so I can attempt to make it to the hill workout in the park at 5:30 tomorrow morning.  


---


Yes, I have it easy in the summer. And I absolutely love it. Granted, this was a really laid-back day. Usually I have more errands to run or a few cupcake/baked goods orders to fill. (And I like those days even better because I get to spend a portion of my day baking!) 


I wouldn't trade these summer days for anything. (Except maybe my own bakery. Hmmmm...)

Comments

Ashley Rowe said…
Your days are at least more productive than mine. I'm lucky if I make it off the couch. LOL
Let me know how you do with Common Core. I worked on it a little bit last year and I'm having a heck of a time with it. I feel like I don't have a starting point and it's really frustrating. Enjoy the rest of your summer Sara!! I just love reading your blogs :)

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);