Skip to main content

Spring break, full of running & baking... [Carrot Surprise Muffins]

Ahhhh... sweet sweet Spring Break. I've been waiting for this all year long. Well at least since we came back from our long weekend in February. Hehe. This year we only get 3 days off school (compared to last year's entire week), but we are done with school before Memorial Day. So it's definitely worth having a shorter break.


So what did I spend my first glorious morning of not having to be at school by 7:45am? Oh... just waking up at my normal time of 6:20, but going for a 20 mile run instead of going to work. As much as I love teaching, running will always win in the "more fun" department. 

21.4 miles of running & rainbows makes for a happy girl.
I met up with my running buddies Jim, Amy, & Kevin for a long run. Kevin is training for a 100-mile ultra marathon which is crazy, and Jim & Amy are always game for a long run. We ran around town for a bit before running Kevin home (out in the country) and then running the 5+ miles back into town. 


We accidentally misjudged our route though, and ended up with 21.4 miles instead of 20. Whoops?! With an average pace of 7:52, this was a great confidence-boosting run before taper. 


Highlight of the run? Running through the mall around 8am with all the 'morning walkers'. Our mall opens every morning so that people (mostly of the older generation) can come and get their walk on before the stores open. So naturally, we thought it would be fun to run a loop through the mall. And it was. I'm just glad the Cinn-a-bon wasn't open yet because I don't know if I'd have been able to leave.


I bought my first ever pair of running crops yesterday, and tested them out on today's run. They are perfect! Can't believe I waited this long to get a pair. They were perfect for the temps this morning, mid-30s. Usually I'd wear shorts but then complain about being cold the whole time. Absolutely love them.


Lovin' the new crops. It's incredible hard to take a picture of your lower half with your phone. Just sayin'.
The start of spring break also means that I spent some time in the kitchen yesterday, whipping up some delicious Carrot Surprise Muffins for my Business Man to share with his employees today. (Oh, and for us to eat, too.)


Cream cheese filling, front & center. 
I tried to think of something creative and 'Easter-y' and these fit the bill! Pretty much a twist on carrot cake that you can justify eating for breakfast because it's a muffin. (NOT a cupcake. A muffin.)


The recipe comes from my Cupcakes from the Cake Mix Doctor book by Anne Byrn, so it starts with a cinnamon-swirl bread mix. It's then doctored up with freshly grated carrots, maple extract, and a cream cheese filling! The cream cheese filling really takes these muffins over the top. They're moist, full of cinnamon-maple flavor, and of course they are healthy for you because they have a serving of vegetables. 





A word to the wise - buy whole carrots, not baby carrots... they are much easier to grate. Baby carrots just turn into carrot nubs too quickly and then you almost grate your fingers off. And they make a big mess.


Ahhh! Carrots!



You mix up the batter, then place a small dollop of cream cheese surprise in the center of each muffin before baking.


Ready to bake!
Warm, fresh carrot muffins with a cream cheese center. I'm thinking you might need to make these for your Easter Sunday breakfast. 



[Click to PRINT]




Carrot Surprise Muffins



  • For the cream cheese surprise
    • 4-oz. cream cheese, softened
    • 1 large egg, beaten
    • 1 tablespoon sugar
    • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • For the muffins
    • 17.5-oz. package cinnamon swirl muffin mix
    • ½ cup milk
    • ¼ cup vegetable oil
    • 1 large egg
    • 1 teaspoon maple extract
    • 1 cup freshly shredded carrots


Method

Preheat oven to 400*F. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray or line with paper liners.


For cream cheese surprise, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add sugar, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon of the beaten egg. (Save the remaining beaten egg for the muffins.) Blend until smooth. Set aside.


For muffins, place the muffin mix in a mixing bowl and make a well in the center. Reserve about 1/3 the cinnamon-sugar packet for topping the muffins. Add 2/3 the cinnamon-sugar packet to the muffin mix. Place milk, oil, egg, remaining beaten egg, and maple extract in the well of the muffin mix. Stir with a fork to combine and break up the egg yolk. Stir the wet and dry ingredients together with a spoon just until combined, about 20 strokes. Add the shredded carrots; stir another 10 strokes just to combine. The batter will still be a little lumpy, that's ok!


Scoop about 1/3 cup batter into each muffin cup, filling it 3/4 full. With a back of a spoon, make a small well in the batter in the center of each muffin. Dollop a spoonful of the cream cheese mixture into each muffin. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with the reserved cinnamon-sugar.


Bake at 400*F for 18 to 20 minutes until muffins spring back when lightly pressed with your finger. Let cool at least 5 minutes before removing muffins from cups. Enjoy!

Source: from Anne Byrn's Cupcakes from the Cake Mix Doctor

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);