Skip to main content

Last Friday Night... [Adventures in Traveling]

Last Friday night, my Business Man and I started the journey home to visit our families for Easter. It's about 390 miles, and usually takes about 6 hours. No big deal.


Well, usually, it's no big deal.

Until we hit traffic about 120 miles from the Bean Town. And sat there. And sat there. And sat there some more. We moved 2.5 miles in 2.5 hours. No joke. We had one opportunity to make an [illegal] U-turn about 20 minutes in, but we thought that it would certainly clear up soon. Hmmmph.


Now, I wasn't too upset at first, because I was busy reading my book for book club next week. That is, until it had been multiple hours, and I started to get hungry. Like Iran21milesthismorningandcanonlyeatsomanyReeseseggs hungry. Yes... the one time I didn't pack a cooler full of snacks is the time we get stuck in traffic for 2.5 hours. Let's just say I wasn't the most pleasant person to be in a car with.





Finally, we made it up to another [illegal] U-turn spot, and I told my Business Man we were turning around and finding another way, or else. (Or else, what? Who knows!)


So, we turned around, got off at the closest exit, and took some country roads to the nearest restaurant. 


Where did we end up? A lil' place called Pizza King.





We were a little unsure of the place from the parking lot, but I saw food, and that's all that mattered. 


We went in, seated ourselves, and were instructed to place our order via the telephone at our table. Interesting.


Pretty retro.



"Yes, I would like one of everything, please and thank you."
It was actually pretty fun. All the waitresses had to be at least grandma-aged; they were pretty cute. And the pizza was pretty darn delicious.


Cut into squares, just the way I like it. Perfect for having "just one more little piece."


After filling our bellies (and finally taming the hunger beast), we got back on the road and safely made it home... turning our typical 6-hour drive into a 9.5-hour drive. Oh, well, such is life.


Question: Does anybody have any crazy road trip stories?




In other news... my latest recipe post is up at the Rays Supermarkets blog! Click on over to find a recipe for Glazed Strawberry Fruit Salad. It's one of my favorites this time of year!

Comments

Alissa said…
I remember once we sat in traffic forever (it was summer and it was HOT!) I think I was about 7. We were with my grandparents. They were driving us back home. After we sat in traffic forever, then their car broke down. I think the 4 hour drive took all day (it was quite a dramatic story in my 7 year old brain). It was before the day of cell phones, so I think my parents were worried.
Whitny said…
Haha this is too funny! Wes has learned to pack snacks whenever picking me up from place long trips Ect in fear of the hunger beast!
Talen said…
This post literally had me laughing out loud. I especially enjoy the picture of you ordering your food on the phone.

I also wanted to attempt to make glazed fruit salad at some point, so I am glad you posted this! Yay!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);