Skip to main content

IL Marathon, week #12

Gosh I can't believe there's just four weeks left until the marathon! On one hand, I am SO ready for it to be here, but on the other, it doesn't seem possible that I've been training for twelve weeks already. How time flies!




Last week was pretty boring running-wise. Lots of easy miles, a short(er) long run of 15 miles and a 6-mile tempo.


The tempo run was freakin' awesome though - my first time ever in the 6:30s for a tempo run! Granted, it was a 6:39 average, but I'll take it! I am feeling stronger than ever in these workouts, which is great for my psyche as I gear up for the big race on April 28.


Weekly Rundown 3.26.2012-4.1.2012
Mon - 6-mile tempo run at 6:39 avg (splits - 6:45, 6:45, 6:40, 6:40, 6:38, 6:38, 6:29); 9.2 miles total with warm-up & cool-down
Tues - Rest
Wed - 7.8 miles easy
Thurs - 8.4 miles easy
Fri - 5.4 miles easy
Sat - 6.5 miles easy
Sun - 15.6 miles LONG (7:44 avg)
TOTAL - 52.9 miles


What does next week look like? Well, it's my last 'big' week before taper, so I'm hoping to get in 55+ miles, with an interval workout and a 20-mile long run. Woot woot! Then it'll be taper time.


We also booked the hotel for the race this week. Nothing like waiting 'til the last minute. We had to call about 4-5 hotels until we found one that actually still had rooms available, and it's in a town 20 miles from Champaign. And......... I can't remember which hotel it is. It was a small po-dunk hotel I'd never heard of, so I'm thinking I will be making a few phone calls to figure out where we have a room. Can you imagine? "Hi, uh... I booked a hotel room last week, but I can't remember where. Can you look and see if you have a reservation for Sara A________?" Not really looking forward to that. I'm secretly hoping it will come to me in a dream or something.  


And I will leave you with some fun foodie pictures of the week.


First up - my Business Man's lunch on Saturday. We worked at my high school's track invitational all day, and they had a pretty sweet hospitality room. I mentioned to him that his plate was looking "just a little tan." Hehe, he cracks me up. He said it was the best potluck meal ever.


Cheese and carbs. The two most important food group according to my Business Man.
And now - the best salad known to humankind. (At least to me.) This is a buffalo chicken salad... salad greens topped with a breaded, deep-fried chicken breast coated in buffalo sauce. Along with blue cheese, thick-cut bacon, and ranch dressing. It was sooo good. I'm thinking I need to figure out how to make this at home, a bit healthier.


At least there's some green in the picture.


Happy running (and eating), friends!



Comments

Running Girl said…
Nice work on the speedy tempo run! That's amazing! I saw a mile in the 7s while I was doing interval runs the other day, & I was thrilled. At that was just a quick flash on the Garmin - not the entire mile. You are awesome.

And yes, that salad looks & sounds amazing. YUM. Also, bring back the baked goods, pretty please. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);