Skip to main content

Lovin' the weekend

Can I get an amen for a quiet weekend at home? The last three weekends have been go-go-go, and while it was all a blast and totally worth it, it is so nice to know that I have nowhere to be and nothing to do. Except run, ya know. Can't have a weekend without that.


This morning started out with a run, a 20-miler to be exact. This is the second 20-miler of my training cycle, and it went swimmingly well. I headed out with some running buddies around 6:15am. (I know, crazy for a Saturday. But they had some commitments at 9:30, and I'd rather run with my friends!) I woke myself up around 5:30am so I could get a little coffee in my system and have a clif bar.


We ended up doing a huge loop of the Bean Town, running through several areas that I've never been through. Loops through the college in the middle of town, past the grain elevator, past the Ford engine plant, and through a quarry. Pretty neat. At one point, we were getting close to a set of train tracks, and the train was right next to us, moving slower than molasses. (Or at least slower than us, so less than 8mph). All of a sudden the gates started to go down where the tracks crossed the road about 200m ahead, so after making eye contact with the conductor, we started a full-out sprint to make it past before his train would get there. Fortunately he let us through, or we would have been waiting at least 10-15 minutes at the rate the train was moving! But it felt pretty BA to say we raced a train, and won. ;-)


We averaged 8:03 pace for just over 20 miles. Such a great run - and a great confidence booster. 5 weeks until the marathon!


Post-run breakfast on the living room floor - smoothie, PB-honey toast (x2), iced coffee. Oh, and a big ole' recipe binder. And a lovely shot of my right calf. 

It was so weird to be done with a 20-miler before 9am. What to do with the rest of the day? 


My Business Man and I decided to run a few errands. We stocked up on groceries at Rays, and it was pretty fun to actually shop together. (Usually I do the grocery shopping alone.) And what I mean by pretty fun - he got to push the cart and I got to tell him what to put in it. Heh. (My excuse? I just ran 20 miles! Pretty sure I will be using that all day.)


Note that the ice cream was BOGO. So we obviously had to partake.


We also ran into Wal-mart for trash bags, and guess who we found?! Tony the Tiger! Only in the Bean Town ...


We are now BFF's. Sporting my new hoodie from the Get Lucky Half last weekend. Love it.


Last stop? A neat local store - Pears Avenue. It's located at the Met Block downtown, and has really unique vintage & homemade items for the home. Everything you can imagine... hand-sewn aprons & pillows, paintings, transistor radios, furniture, vintage dishes. The Bean Town has been doing "cash mobs" recently - where a local business is selected, and at a specific date and time, patrons are invited to come out and shop til' they drop (or at least check out the store!) to support local business. I think it's a great way to encourage people to shop local and let them know what's out there. So today was the cash mob for Pears Avenue.


The Met Block


We ended up with some spring candles (made from recycled wine bottles) and some cute vintage linens. And there were snacks! There's a new diner practically next door, Fat Cat Diner, and they provided homemade, chocolate-covered potato chips (!!!). So good. If only they were open more than just breakfast and lunch Monday through Friday! Guess I'll have to wait until summer to give 'em a try for a meal.


Yes, that would be a chocolate-covered potato chip. And it was absolutely delicious.


The rest of the afternoon has been spent in the kitchen, baking. Can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday.  




We've got big plans of going out for ice cream tonight. My favorite ice cream stand in the Bean Town opens tonight... and I absolutely cannot wait to go! Yay for Pete's!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);