Skip to main content

Kolacky Schmolocky

Ever had a kolacky? Or are wondering what the junk a kolacky could possibly be?


Well, friends, it might just be one of the most delicious breakfast treats in the entire world. (But I might be a bit biased.)


This weekend, I was going through old pictures in my iPhoto this weekend... and stumbled across these delicious treats from the beginning of February. February! How have I not shared these yet? (To be honest, I completely forgot about them...)


Several weeks ago, when some friends came to visit, I wanted to make something special for breakfast. But I didn't want to make the traditional cinnamon rolls or scones. (My go-to breakfasts for guests.) Maybe it was because I've fed these friends breakfast before on multiple occasions and didn't want to repeat the same dish. (Yes I'm that type of person.)





So I went searching through a few of my cookbooks, and discovered a recipe for Kolacky. Described as an "Eastern European sweet roll", I thought it might be right up my alley. According to Wikipedia, kolacky is a "type of pastry that holds a dollop of fruit rimmed by a puffy pillow of supple dough." Hmmm... I'm kinda curious what they mean by supple dough.


Anyway, it's basically a sweet doughnut-like mini coffee cake with fruit filling. I chose to do blackberry, because I loooove blackberries. It reminded me a lot of this Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake, but a lot less work, and in individual miniature portions. Isn't everything so much cuter when it's mini-sized?


So I'm almost glad that I forgot to blog about these in February, because they are the perfect "Welcome spring!" type of breakfast treat. I'm thinking they'd be perfect for Easter Sunday breakfast... except I will have to do a flavor other than blackberry. (My mom doesn't like blackberries. She's crazy. Something about the seeds. But she loves raspberries. Which also have seeds. Makes no sense at all. Love you, Mom. :-P)





Happy baking!


[Click to PRINT]



Kolacky


  • For kolacky
    • 4 to 4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
    • 2 ¼ oz. active dry yeast
    • 1 cup milk
    • ¾ cup butter
    • ½ cup sugar
    • ½ teaspoon salt
    • 4 egg yolks
    • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • For blackberry filling
    • 2 cups blackberries
    • ¼ cup sugar
    • ¼ cup water
    • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
    • 1 tablespoon cold water
  • For glaze
    • 1 to 2 cups powdered sugar
    • 2 tablespoons milk
    • ½ teaspoon almond extract

Method

In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine 2 cups of flour and the yeast; set aside.

In a medium saucepan, heat 1 cup milk, 3/4 cup butter, sugar, and salt just until warm (120*F-130*F) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture to dry mixture along with the egg yolks. Beat with the paddle attachment on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping side of bowl as needed. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes.

Stir in as much remaining flour as possible and lemon zest. Switch to dough hook and mix on low until dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place dough in lightly greased bowl, turning once. Cover; let rise in a warm place for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until double in size.

Meanwhile, prepare blackberry filling. Combine blackberries, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup water in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until blackberries breakdown and the mixture is bubbly. In small bowl, combine cornstarch with 1 tablespoon cold water. Stir into blackberry mixture; heat until it thickens. Set filling aside to cool.

When dough has risen, punch it down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Grease two baking sheets.

Shape each half of the dough into 8 balls (16 balls total), tucking the edges under to make smooth tops. Place balls 3 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Flatten each ball to 2.5 inches in diameter. Cover; let rise in a warm place until nearly double, about 30 to 35 minutes. (If preparing the day before, at this point, cover with saran wrap and place in refrigerator to rise overnight.)

To bake, preheat oven to 375*F. Make an indentation in the center of each dough round. Place a heaping spoonful of blackberry filling into each of the indentations. Bake 12 to 15 minutes until golden. Transfer to wire racks; cool completely. 


For glaze, combine powdered sugar, milk, and almond extract. Drizzle over cooled kolackys.


Source: From Better Homes & Garden New Baking Book

Comments

Alissa said…
"what the junk". I love you, your- maiden-name-ster! (Did you get what I was going for there?) I still say, "What the junk?" sometimes :) <3 AK
Running Girl said…
Yum! I've always heard of those called Danishes. Not sure if they are exactly the same, but I've never even considered making them. Now I might have to try.

You have the best recipes!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);