Skip to main content

Life in the Boot

Sooooo... this week has been interesting to say the least. Hobbling around in my boot at school has been such fun. 


The funniest moment of the week at school happened when we were evacuating the building on Tuesday to the bus garage about 2.5 blocks away. Quote from a student: "Mrs. A! If you're having trouble walking, I can totally carry you! You sure you don't need a lift?" And I just laughed. And one of the girls in my class got onto him... "Ewww, why would she want you to carry her? She can walk just fine! And even if she couldn't... she'd probably make it work somehow!" So to said student - Thanks, but no thanks. I'll manage


But other than that - the boot has been treating me well. My foot pain is almost *completely* gone, which is fabulous! I have been able to run the past few days, pain-free. I've still been icing like crazy, which helps a lot.


My parents are visiting this weekend (woo hoo!), but you know what that means - house projects. Haha. We My dad & my Business Man are working on painting some of our cabinets and a few little projects in our upstairs bathroom. My mom & I will be the food-providers and mess cleaner-uppers. 







We did have a little fun in the kitchen last night with a batch of my favorite Monster Cookie Cupcakes. Sooo good, these have officially moved up into my #1 cupcake slot.


We also tried a new recipe for Fontina Mushroom Pizza, which has been on my "to-make ASAP" list for over a month. My Business Man despises mushrooms, so I had to wait until I had daring guests here for dinner who were willing to eat fungi. The pizza was a little hands-on (i.e. complicated) but turned out so great! It starts with a from-scratch mushroom pesto sauce with roasted garlic, and then is loaded with sauteed mushrooms, and fontina and parmesan cheese. The pesto sauce alone was worth the effort.

This picture does it no justice. I wasn't in a "food-photo" taking mood. I was in a "get-this-pizza-in-my-belly-as-soon-as-possible" type mood.
This afternoon, we'll be spending a bit of time outside! Today is the BBO 4-mile in Columbus Grove. Last year was the first year I ran it, and it was loads of fun, albeit super windy. (Like so windy my second mile was a minute slower than my first. Yikes!) My finish time last year was 27:07, and I'm pretty positive that I can beat that for sure.


I would loooove to beat my 4-mile PR, 25:16, but that was run on an all downhill course... so today might prove a bit more challenging. My plan is to try to hit 6:15 miles, so we'll see how it goes! It'll be a beautiful day for running in northwest Ohio, high of 50*F and winds only at 10-15mph. And the sun is shining! :)




I will leave you with this pic of my parents' cutie patootie dog, Maggie. Whenever she comes here she spends hours staring out the front window. It's like she's never seen a front yard before or something. Or maybe the Bean Town is just that much cooler than where she lives. That's probably it.

Comments

Rachel said…
Best of luck at the BBO! Mom and I were going to run it, but then decided to pass. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);