Skip to main content

Sometimes I wonder...

Today I freakishly woke up at 4:30am with no alarm. I had planned on getting up at 5:15am to run, but when I woke up naturally at 4:30am... I decided to roll with and get a start with my day. Instead of an easy run, I now had time for SPEEDWORK!


So off to the gym it was. I had never been to the gym that freakishly early before... good thing it' s 24-hour gym.

That is 5am, not 5pm.
I had mile repeats on the schedule for this week, but after seeing a couple people on Daily Mile with 800m workouts recently, I decided to trade up my 4x1600m w/ 800m jog for 8x800m w/ 400m jog. Basically the same thing, right? Goal pace of 3:10/interval.


Since there is really nothing on TV at 5am, I brought along my phone so I could jam out to some ridiculous pop music with my newest app - Pandora. Too bad my headphones decided to flake out on me after one song... Lady Gaga's Poker Face. (Maybe that's a secret message? Don't listen to Lady Gaga?)


So, then I stared at the wall. And lip-read the 5am "agriculture news program." It was really invigorating.


But the workout went well! I completed all 8 repeats, with splits of 3:07, 3:08, 3:08, 3:08, 3:08, 3:08, 3:06, 3:05. Pretty easy to be consistent on the treadmill, hehe. As long as you don't fly off the back of it. Got in 8.3 miles total.


It was so strange to have a speed workout done before 6am. I even had time to pack a more labor-intensive lunch. (Egg salad... yes I got some weird looks at lunch. But it was so good.)


While I was running so randomly early this morning... I got to thinking, "What are some other really strange things that I do?" And here's what I came up with:

  • I eat instant oatmeal for breakfast every morning. (That's not weird.) What's weird is that I always have to cook it in the microwave for 1:22. But if it goes the whole 1:22, it will overflow. So when there's about 30 seconds left of cook time, I have to stand there and watch it. And stop the microwave when it's about to overflow. And then restart it. And then stop it. And restart it. Until the 1:22 has been used up. Yes, a waste of time. That's 30 seconds of my life that I'm losing everyday to watching oatmeal cook!
  • Every night before bed, I do the usual get-ready-for-bed-routine. Brush teeth, take out contacts, use the bathroom, etc... but after I lay down in bed and am about to fall asleep, I have to get up to pee one more time. Every night! If I even get the thought in my head, I absolutely cannot fall asleep without getting up and going. It's ridiculous.
  • When I get cold (which is often), I wrap a blanket around my waist and go about my activities. Doing laundry, baking, whatever. It's not unusual if you come over in the wintertime and I have an argyle blanket wrapped around me like a towel. My Business Man thought I was crazy at first, but he's gotten used to it. I've been doing this for years.
Oh, and of course please note the beverage.

Now you know some things you probably didn't really want to know about me... but oh well. Such is life. :) Feel free to share your strange quirks as well so I know I'm not alone.

Comments

Have Your Way said…
A few weeks ago I was waking up at 3 and couldnt go back to sleep..so i discovered GREEK.

Wish my gym was a 24/7 gym I would be so PUMPED if that happened!!
Alissa said…
Sara, I loved this post. I feel like we have bonded in a new way (the I run on the treadmill and make up things people on TV are saying). My gym does not open until 6, so I pretty much never go there in the morning.

This may gross you out, but I LOVE IT, I make a pot of coffee and then leave the grounds in and run about half as much water through again. The first pot is nice and strong and the second pot is a little bit weak. I like the variety and feel like I am getting my money's worth out of the coffee. hahahaha

We should try to skype some time.
Unknown said…
It must have been the day! I was really worried I would not be able to get up at 5 AM for bootcamp but I was wide awake and ready to go at 4:30.
Kristi Kay said…
sooo, I most definitely can be seen moseying around the house with a blanket around like a toga. It is just too practical and really I am just not willing to purchase a snuggie or a forever lazy!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

2011 Flying Pig Marathon Race Recap

Marathons are hard. But before we get to the actual marathon, let's rewind a bit to Saturday afternoon. We arrived in Cincy around 2pm, and hit up marathon expo. Goodness sakes, I had never seen a room so large filled with so many runners. Everyone was so excited, you could almost feel the energy. We weaved our way through the exhibitors and what they had to offer. (Think free dark chocolate almond granola samples! Yum! I also might have snagged some info on the Disney Half & Marathon in January... we shall see.) We also stopped for a few fun photo ops. Posing with a balloon flying pig. These were everywhere! Flying pigs with all sorts of themes. They were so cute! After the expo, we headed to our early-bird dinner. We had the luxury of dining at Maggiano's Little Italy   (major carb-loading!), and it was a fantastic dining experience. The service was great , and the food was delicious as well. None of us had ever eaten there, befor