Skip to main content

Escape to Castle in the Country

This weekend, my Business Man and I had the pleasure of returning to the B&B where we honeymooned for a little bit of rest and relaxation! I had a four-day weekend from school, and February is usually just BLAH, so we planned this trip well before Christmas to have something to look forward to.



We spent the weekend at Castle in the Country in Allegan, Michigan. It's about 30 minutes away from several cutesy towns, the perfect location to get away and relax. We weren't sure if it would be as fun in the wintertime (with not as many activities to do), but we definitely kept busy!


We stayed in the Crowning Suite - which was absolutely gorgeous! We are already plotting and planning on how we could turn our attic into a suite like this someday, skylights and all. Totally do-able, right?


Gotta love a king-size bed.
Doorway to the bathroom suite.


We were treated to delicious, gourmet breakfasts both mornings of our stay. Such a nice change from my usual instant oatmeal. ;-)


Saturday morning - cream cheese stuffed French toast (on homemade bread) with strawberry coulis. And bacon. Some of the best bacon to ever pass my lips.





Sunday morning - savory crepes with eggs & asiago cheese, served with sausage links, potatoes, and tomato jam. The tomato jam was so unique! Sweet, tangy, and delicious. 





We also had apricot-cranberry scones, which are some of my favorite. I actually got my scone recipe from our last visit to Castle in the Country.


After seeing an early movie on Saturday afternoon, we headed up to Holland & Saugatuck to explore the shops.


We didn't do too much damage to our wallets... although there was the cutest little running store right downtown. If I lived in Holland I would be in trouble.


In trouble not only because of the running store but because of the awesome ice cream shop just a block away. We tried their specialty flavor of the month... salted caramel! Caramel ice cream with sea salt caramel swirls and chocolate-coated caramel cups. My Business Man & I shared this, and I'm not gonna lie, I really wish I would have gotten my own. But it's much more romantic to share, right?





We capped off the day with dinner at my favorite restaurant of all time, Salt of the Earth. We dined here twice on our honeymoon, and twice this time around. (Yes we are the crazies who will eat at the same restaurant two nights in a row.)





They have a core menu, but they also have a "Fresh Board" which features a different selection each week based on what's available from local growers and producers. They also bake all their bread in-house... and it is amazing. They have a bacon bread that is just unreal.





I didn't snap too many pictures inside the restaurant, but my favorite item on the menu is the wood-fired pizza. I tried the feta & herb with oven-roasted grape tomatoes, swiss chard, and pickled peppers.  My Business Man had the sea scallops with butternut squash risotto, and a side of fried brussels sprouts (!) with bacon balsamic dressing. We did lots of sharing and everything was delicious.


We couldn't leave without dessert - chocolate cake with peanut butter, honey, dark chocolate, and sea salt. It was just as good as it sounds. 


Now we are back in the Bean Town, and looking back on this post, it seems like all we did the past couple days was eat! I guess that makes for a great weekend. :)


Lucky me, I still have tomorrow off (yay for Presidents' Day!) before going back to school on Tuesday. I'm hoping to have a little fun in the kitchen tomorrow. 


Have a great week!

Comments

Whitney said…
Was the running store by and chance Gazelle sports? I <3 that little store. They have larger branch in GR (my usual stopping place) but their Holland store is cute too.
Sara said…
@Whitney - yes! It was so cute... I wanted to buy a bunch of things, but I just ordered new shoes online a few weeks ago and couldn't justify any purchases. Did get some sport beans though! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

2011 Flying Pig Marathon Race Recap

Marathons are hard. But before we get to the actual marathon, let's rewind a bit to Saturday afternoon. We arrived in Cincy around 2pm, and hit up marathon expo. Goodness sakes, I had never seen a room so large filled with so many runners. Everyone was so excited, you could almost feel the energy. We weaved our way through the exhibitors and what they had to offer. (Think free dark chocolate almond granola samples! Yum! I also might have snagged some info on the Disney Half & Marathon in January... we shall see.) We also stopped for a few fun photo ops. Posing with a balloon flying pig. These were everywhere! Flying pigs with all sorts of themes. They were so cute! After the expo, we headed to our early-bird dinner. We had the luxury of dining at Maggiano's Little Italy   (major carb-loading!), and it was a fantastic dining experience. The service was great , and the food was delicious as well. None of us had ever eaten there, befor