Skip to main content

Hummus is Yummus...

We are officially back in the Bean Town and I am soaking up these last few days of break before heading back to school next week. Today I had the luxury of an early morning run with a friend followed by a mid-morning nap (while said friend had to go off to work... bwahaha.) I spent the morning on the couch with my Today Show friends while attempting to write lesson plans... which is not the most efficient way to write lesson plans, but much more fun.


I actually surprised my Business Man and got some housework done this afternoon - clean sheets on our bed and the guest bed, clean dishes, and a reorganization of some kitchen cabinets. Progress!


And now I bring to you a recipe for hummus. Hummus is a delicious dip made up of ground chickpeas, tahini (sesame seed paste), garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, and other spices. Hummus is yummus! And yes, I'm a dork.



This recipe serves a double purpose.


First of all, it's a fabulous appetizer that would be perfect served at a New Year's Eve gathering. Grab a bag of pita chips and some sliced veggies and you're all set!


Second, if you're looking for a lighter recipe to kick off the new year, this is one of them!





Not only is hummus a delicious (and nutritious) snack, but it is really delicious on sandwiches, in quesadillas, on pizza, .... the list goes on and on.


It's super easy to prepare if you have a food processor. And so much more cost-efficient! At our local supermarket, hummus usually costs $4.99 for an 8-oz. container. I can make it homemade for about $1.25... and it makes twice as much. (The tahini is originally a bit pricey, but one jar will last awhile. And chickpeas are only $0.59/can.)



Hummus


  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice, from 1-2 lemons
  • ¼ cup water
  • 6 tablespoons tahini, stirred well
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 14-oz. can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
  • ½ teaspoon minced garlic
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon cumin
  • pinch cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped

Method

Combine lemon juice and water in a small bowl. Whisk together tahini and 2 tablespoons oil in second small bowl. Set aside 2 tablespoons chickpeas for garnish. (If you don't care about garnish, just use them all in the processor.)

Process remaining chickpeas, garlic, salt, cumin, and cayenne in food processor until almost fully ground, about 15 seconds. Scrape down bowl with rubber spatula. With machine running, add lemon juice-water mixture in steady stream through food tube. Scrape down bowl and continue to process for 1 minute. With machine running, add oil-tahini mixture in steady stream through food tube; continue to process until hummus is smooth and creamy, about 15 seconds, scraping down bowl as needed.

Transfer hummus to serving bowl, sprinkle with reserved chickpeas and cilantro. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand until flavors meld, at least 30 minutes. Store in refrigerator.

Source: from Annie's Eats (originally from Cook's Illustrated)

In other news... I just have to share my two favorite Christmas gifts.

Thanks to my parents-in-law for the most awesome new running top! It is so warm. And makes me excited to go running in the dark cold winter mornings.


And to my momma & dad for this wonderful panini maker. No more bricks in the kitchen! I foresee a blog series of panini sandwiches in the very near future...


Got any great panini recipes? I will be on a mission to re-create some Panera favs, and to work my way through a cookbook of 200 Best Panini Recipes. Can't wait!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Looks like you had a good Christmas! My brother got me a pink underarmour-esque top, but I don't think even that is enough to motivate me to exercise outside in the winter. But that's what my groupon-hopping fitness classes are for.
Talen said…
I want to attempt this, but it's slightly intimidating to me!
Sara said…
@Jen - exercising outside in the winter really isn't that bad! It's the first 10 minutes or so that suck... but once you warm up it feels good. But fitness classes sound fun too!

@Talen- if you don't have a food processor, I wouldn't try it. It's probably nearly impossible to grind up chickpeas without one. :) You can come to Lima and eat hummus tho!
This hummus looks creamy - I need to try! There are so many variations of ratios with all the same ingredients, so it's hard to get it just right!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);