Skip to main content

Day 1: Peanut Butter Cups

These cookies might just be my absolute favorite cookies. EVER.


I've mentioned before that I worked at a bakery/cafe (Katie's Cafe) during high school & college. And I absolutely loved it. 


Cookies were definitely one of the most popular items at Katie's Cafe - there were always at least a dozen freshly baked varieties up for grabs. And, they were huge! Think cookies the size of your face.



My favorite cookie from Katie's was the Peanut Butter Cup - rich peanut buttery cookie dough, smooshed into a muffin cup and baked, and then filled with chocolate frosting. Like an inside out Reese's cup, in cookie form.


I've made some slight adaptations to the cookie, making it even more decadent. Instead of filling it with a powdered sugar chocolate frosting, I've filled it with a deep chocolate ganache. Yum. 



Sinking your teeth into the soft chocolate ganache then the chewy peanut butter cookie might just be the best bite ever.


However, these cookies can be just a bit tricky. Sometimes they like to stick in the pan. 

[Not that I ever ruined 3 dozen cookies for a special order because they wouldn't come out of the pan. And then had to stay an extra hour to re-bake them. And perhaps take the crumbled cookies home. Hey, cookies are cookies! And crumbs make the best ice cream topping.]


The secret is to use a well-greased, well-floured mini-muffin pan.



And don't make your dough balls too big.




To form the peanut butter cup shape, you need to indent the balls some sort of rounded edge of a utensil. My ice cream scoop works really well.





After baking, the key is to let them cool, but don't let them get cold. (Aka... don't put them in the refrigerator to try to 'cool them faster', because then they have a bigger chance of breaking when you remove them from the pan.)


Remove them from the pan and fill with the ganache! Super delectable.




And there's Day 1! Be sure to come back and visit for more cookies to bake this Christmas season.

Peanut Butter Cup Cookies


  • For the peanut butter cookies
    • ¾ cup butter, softened
    • ¾ cup brown sugar
    • ¾ cup granulated sugar
    • ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 2 eggs
    • 1 ½ cups peanut butter
    • ¾ teaspoon salt
    • ¾ teaspoon baking soda
    • 2 cups flour
  • For the ganache
    • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
    • 12-oz. package semisweet chocolate chips

Method

Cream together butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Add vanilla and eggs. Add peanut butter; mix thoroughly. In small bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda; add to creamed mixture. Refrigerate dough until firm, at least 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350*F. Prepare mini-muffin tins by greasing and flouring. Roll dough into 1-inch balls, and place in mini-muffin tins. Make a deep indentation in each dough ball. Bake in 350*F oven for 10-14 minutes until golden brown and set. Let cool.

Meanwhile, prepare chocolate ganache. Bring heavy whipping cream to a simmer; pour over chocolate chips in a bowl. Let sit 5 minutes. (Don't skip this step!) Stir ganache until smooth. (It might take a few minutes, but it'll get there!) Let sit on counter or in refrigerator, stirring every few minutes until ganache becomes thick. (It'll get thicker as it cools.)

Once cookies are cool, lightly twist each cookie to remove it from the pan. Fill with chocolate ganache. Enjoy!

Source: Adapted from Katie's Cafe

Comments

Have Your Way said…
YUM!!!

Def. dont think I have the patience for that! hah
Talen said…
Sara! I've felt the itch to bake again. I don't know why, I think it is just because it is the Christmas season. These looked so good, but as soon as you said tricky and I looked at the pictures I decided to pass. Haha. I might attempt the home-made Take 5 Bars tomorrow! Wish me luck, you may be getting some calls from me...haha.

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);