Skip to main content

Taste of the Tropics

I don't think I've mentioned this, but in a few weeks my Business Man and I are going to the beach. THE BEACH!! I am so excited.




Last weekend we spent some time at the Dayton Mall (using up some wedding gift cards) to buy a few new pieces of summer clothing. Aka a new bathing suit for me because I haven't gotten one in a few years. Oh and a cute little sundress. 


Anyways, while we were shopping, we challenged each other to an "Abs Challenge" until we leave for the beach. I haven't done abs since before my wedding. (Which was, oh, 10+ months ago?) 


We agreed to do 8-minute abs everyday. Except we would start with 5-minute abs and work up to 8-minute abs by the end. So we I started last night. It was so much fun. NOT.


Anyways, back to the beach. When I was little, I got to go to the beach a lot. (One of the perks of being an only child--you get to go on lots of vacations!)


One of the first things my parents would do when we got to whatever town we were visiting was to stop at a local grocery store and pick up a key lime pie. Gosh, key lime pie at the beach tasted so good. Such good memories.


So, today I bring you Key Lime Pie Cupcakes. Not quite key lime pie, but still so, so good.



A zesty yellow cake accented with flavors of lime filled with a key lime pie filling. All topped with a coconut cream cheese frosting. Yum.




If you can find key lime juice, please use it. So much better than regular lime juice. Not that regular lime juice produces bad cupcakes; I just like the key lime better. 

Use this! I found it at Meijer... got the last bottle!


We served these at our wedding. (One of the five flavors.) Too bad we weren't going to the beach for our honeymoon; that would have been perfect.





But, we get to go to the beach now. In just 17 days. 


So just 17 sets of 5-minute abs. Only 85 minutes of abs. (That's if we never work our way up to 8-minutes.)


That's a lot of minutes of abs. I think I'd rather go have another cupcake...

Key Lime Pie Cupcakes


  • Cupcakes
    • 18.25-oz yellow cake mix
    • 1 small package instant vanilla pudding mix
    • 3 egg yolks
    • 1 egg
    • 1 tbsp. lime zest
    • 2 tbsp. lime juice, (key lime, if possible!)
    •  cups water
    •  cup oil
    • 1 tsp. coconut extract
  • Key Lime Pie Filling
    • 14-oz. cans sweetened condensed milk
    •  cup key lime juice
  • Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
    • 8-oz. cream cheese, softened
    • ¼ cup butter, softened
    • 4 cups powdered sugar
    • 1 tsp. coconut extract
    • ¼ cup heavy whipping cream

Method

Preheat oven to 350*F. Line cupcake tins with paper liners. In large mixing bowl, combine all cupcake ingredients. Beat on low speed 30 seconds; increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more until nice and thick.

Scoop cupcake batter into lined tins; you will get between 20-24. Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until cupcakes spring back lightly when you touch them with your finger. Let cool.

Meanwhile, prepare key lime pie filling. Stir together sweetened condensed milk and key lime juice. Set aside.

When cupcakes are cool, pipe a small amount of key lime pie filling into the center of each. Or, you can cut out a small chunk of the cupcake and spoon a bit of the filling inside.

For the frosting, beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar. Add coconut extract and heavy whipping cream. Beat on medium-high a few minutes until light and fluffy. If necessary, add a bit more powdered sugar or cream to get your desired consistency.

Use frosting to top filled cupcakes. Store in refrigerator. (They taste really good cold!)

Comments

Running Girl said…
I love the beach! And cupcakes, of course. That's my favorite kind of lime juice as well. Although, you'll usually find it in a margarita at my house. :-)
Stephanie F said…
CUPCAKES! those look so good girl! as far as the shirt i was wearing, it was from express and i got it for FOUR NINETY NINE! girl i was so excited.
Anonymous said…
Finally! I've been hoping and waiting for you to post this recipe!! This one is most certainly my FAVORITE! Thanks. Have fun on your trip!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);