Skip to main content

A Break in the Kitchen

This week we've had lots of take-out. Subway, Panera, Bellacino's, you-name-it.


Not that I don't like take-out (because I do!), but every night? I don't know how some people do it. Cooking is just so much more fun! And satisfying.


Anyways, we've finally reached a lull in the house improvements. They floors are in the process of being stained & varnished, so there are 10 hour chunks of time that they can't be walked on. Thus, work can't be done. (Well, no work can be done in those rooms... believe me there's plenty else to do.) 


But I got a reprieve today. I pleaded with my Business Man if I could stay home and cook dinner. It's been awhile since I really cooked. Tried a new recipe; something I really wanted to make.

So, after a quick trip to a store that wasn't Lowe's, I got started!


Yay for produce! Mangoes, onion, avocados, limes, cilantro. Yum!
I declared it Mexican night, but with a twist. I absolutely adore How Sweet It Is and all the recipes found there. If you haven't explored Jessica's site yet, you are definitely missing out!


She has quite the plethora of enchilada recipes, and I decided to try her BBQ Chicken Enchiladas.


You start with a filling of enchilada sauce, barbecue sauce, shredded chicken, caramelized onions (!), and shredded co-jack cheese. 




All wrapped up in little tortillas. Corn tortillas are the best. I used to only buy flour tortillas, but that was just because I'd never purchased corn tortillas. Corn is where it's at! And they're gluten-free. (I think.) If you have to worry about things like that.






All lined up in a pan.


All my pretty pans are packed up in boxes. Sad.
With more of the enchilada-barbecue sauce poured over the top, and covered with more cheese.






Because cheese makes everything better.


And then they get baked for 25 minutes to heat everything through and get the cheese a bit crunchy. That's my favorite part.



And topped with a bit of cilantro. My favorite fresh herb. 


Gosh these were so good. They were ready about 7:30pm, and I tried to wait until the guys got home at 8pm to eat. I lasted about 2 minutes before I dug in. The sweet & tangy sauce was just so good! And the caramelized onions just added a little extra something-something that was delicious.


But I didn't stop with enchiladas. You can't have Mexican without chips & salsa guacamole! (Gotta get those healthy fats somewhere!)






I'd never made guacamole before tonight. To be honest I was a bit intimidated. But it's so easy! I used this recipe for Mango Guacamole from How Sweet It Is. (What can I say? Every recipe over there is good!)




I only made half the recipe because avocados were $1.79 at the store. I couldn't justify spending almost $8 on four avocados. So I just bought 2, and halved the recipe. It turned out to be the perfect amount for three people. It always seems that leftover guacamole gets all yucky in the fridge anyways.


My Business Man and dad loved this meal. I loved taking the time to make it for them. Win-win situation. The other win-win situation is that they went back to put another coat of varnish on the floors, and I get to stay at the apartment and pack boxes watch House Hunters. (What they don't know won't hurt them, right??)


---


In other news, I'm running a half-marathon tomorrow! Yea... I didn't see that one coming either. I found out yesterday there is a half-marathon in the Bean Town tomorrow morning to raise money for an orphanage in Haiti. So of course I'm in!


It doesn't matter that the longest run I've done since the marathon is 7.5 miles. I'll be fine, right? ;-)


No worries, I'm gonna take it easy and run for fun.


Later gators!



BBQ Chicken Enchiladas


  • rotisserie chicken, skin & bones removed, and meat shredded
  • sweet onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 28-oz. can enchilada sauce
  • ½ cup barbecue sauce , (Sweet Baby Ray's!)
  • pinch cayenne pepper
  • 8-oz. co-jack cheese, shredded
  • 12 small corn tortillas

Method

Place olive oil and onions in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook about 10 minutes, until golden brown and caramelized.

Meanwhile, combine enchilada sauce and barbecue sauce in small bowl.

In large bowl, combine caramelized onion, chicken, cayenne pepper, and half the cheese. Add in about 1/2 cup of the sauce, just until everything is coated.

Spread a thin layer of the sauce in the bottom of a 9x13-inch pan. Place a small amount of the filling into each corn tortilla, roll up, and place seam-side down in the prepared pan. Repeat with remaining tortillas. (You might have some filling leftover. This serves as a great pre-dinner appetizer.)

Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake at 375*F for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and top has browned.

Enjoy!

Source: Adapted from How Sweet It Is

Comments

Catherine said…
Looks yummy! One of my friends brought some gorgeously green guac to a potluck earlier this week, and we tried to figure out how he kept it looking so fresh. His secret? Popping back in the pit when he was done mixing it up! It seemed to do the trick for at least that evening!
jana said…
Mmm, I may have to try those! My mother-in-law always puts the avocado pit in the guac to keep it fresh too. Great tip! I could go for some chips and guac right now.
Anonymous said…
OMIGOD those look amazing! Too bad my husband won't go near Mexican food. I'm definitely checking out "How Sweet It Is." Looks like it's got good stuff. Thanks for the recommendation!
Alissa said…
Uh, you can't justify spending 8 dollars on 4 avocados? I spent 4 dollars on one hahahahaha. But then again, I have bought only one avocado in the last 9 months.
Sara said…
Thanks for the tips about the avocados guys!!

@Kristin!! You were so in my dream last night! We were at some touristy vacation spot trying to figure out where to eat and then we were sky diving. Crazy. I think it means we need to see each other some time soon. Maybe this summer on one of my trips back to IL, I can make a pitstop in Champaign?

@Alissa - Yikes! I guess you would have to 1/4 the batch... and then savor it. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);