Skip to main content

Moving Day is Here!! Oh, and I ran a half-marathon yesterday...

Yes, call me crazy. 


It's already been a chaotic week, with the whole renovating our house thing, trying to move in thing, and wrapping up the school year thing.


But when I found out on Friday that the Bean Town was holding a half-marathon on Saturday, I just had to participate. Never mind the fact that the longest run I'd done since the marathon was 7.5 miles. And that the marathon was just 20 days prior. Who cares?





So, I set off yesterday morning with the hopes of having a very fun run. 


Trying to get a self-portrait... I had no spectators at this run. (Because they were working on the house!)



There weren't too many people running the half-marathon. (There was a 5km, too, and a lot of people were doing that.)


The course was a little boring, out in the country corn fields, but it was fine. I was definitely glad I brought my iPod so I could jam out to some tunes.


I set out about an 8:00-pace, and just decided to cruise along and see how I felt. I was pretty sure I would feel good until about mile 10, and then it would go downhill from there.


I passed through the 5-mile mark in 39:05, so a 7:49-average. Still feelin' good.


I passed a lot of men during miles 5-10 which was definitely an ego-boost. I crossed the 10-mile mark in 1:17:30, a 7:45-average.


And that's where the wheels came off. I just got reeeeeeal tired. And then sun had come up and was shining brightly and it was hooooot. But I continued on! I never had to walk, which was good. 


I ended up finishing somewhere around 1:43:xx, which was 7+ minutes off my PR, but good enough for 3rd overall female! (And also earned me a little cash!) I've never placed that high in a race! And I've never won cash for running... it was completely awesome. 




So after the race I got cleaned up and headed over to the house to work. Activities done today: scraping varnish, Krud-Kutting the kitchen, edging the sidewalk, vacuuming, and trimming hedges. Well, my Business Man trimmed hedges.


He was having way too fun with the electric hedge trimmer.


The chaos of the kitchen. It's now painted and needs to be cleaned really well so we can move stuff in!

See the floors in the background?
Late in the afternoon, I escaped to make cupcakes (red velvet, lemon, and vanilla) for my friend's baby shower this afternoon. No pics yet... I will try to get some later!

I also might have stopped for a delicious iced mocha. But shhh... don't tell because I didn't offer to get anyone else one.



And now, it's the big day! We are actually moving in!

All packed up and ready to go!
And I'm off!

Comments

SbMac said…
Have fun moving! It is such an amazing feeling the first night in your new house!!! Especially after all the hard work you all put into it already!
How exciting! Have fun moving into your new place! Congrats on the half as well, winning some cash is pretty awesome!!
:)
Running Girl said…
Congrats on your third place finish - that is awesome!!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);