Skip to main content

What do you mean I don't need to carb-load for a 5k?!?

So... I mentioned yesterday that I ran 16 miles last Friday. Some of you might be thinking... "Why, oh why, would you put yourself through 2+ hours of torture and pain?" And trust me, I think 16 miles is a looooong way to run, too. 12 is not bad, just an hour and forty minutes or so. But once you get up over the 2-hour range, that's just insane!


You see, one of my life goals is to run a marathon. I've run two halves, one in 2006 and one in 2010. I like the half-marathon. But I want to be able to say I've completed a full. I wasn't sure if I was quite ready to tackle it just yet, but I set forth a tentative training plan about 5 weeks ago. (You can see my weekly runs here, or by clicking The Land of Running at the top of the screen.) I decided that if I made it to a 16-miler and felt okay, that I would proceed with running the marathon. The 16-miler went great! So I guess here goes nothing.


I've decided to run the Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon on May 1. It has been acclaimed in Runner's World magazine as "great for first-time marathoners!" So it should be fun. (As fun as running 26.2 miles can be.) It's also pretty close to the Bean Town, so we won't have to drive super-far. And it's cheap! (Compared to other marathons...)


To celebrate my commitment, I went to MC Sporting Goods today and got myself my very own foam roller. (Thanks to Pat & Jo for the gift card for Christmas! It came in real handy.) No more using the sweaty one at the gym that has been touched and used by who knows how many people. Now I can roll out my sore IT bands in the comfort of my very own home! (Err... apartment.) Of course, with my Business Man wondering what in the heck I am doing and what that thing is for. He told me he expected it to look like a giant lint roller... haha. 


Love at first sight!
The foam roller also came with an ab workout DVD. I'm not sure it will ever get used, ya know, because I already have abs of steel. Right... this past Saturday I went with my mom to her Pi-Yo class and just about died. I thought I was fit, but I struggled big time through that class. What do you mean side planks? And hovers six inches off the ground? Did I mention I was the youngest in the room by about 3 decades? Oiy...

Action shot! And yes, that is a look of pain on my face. Those of you who have suffered ITBS know what I'm talking about. (And that stands for iliotibial band syndrome, not what you were thinking...)
Anyways, when it comes to running, you always hear about people needing to "carb-load." While this is true the night before a long race, it is not necessarily true for all types of workouts. Too bad I pretty much carb-load like it's my job. I can't help it, carbs are my favorite food group! Besides ice cream, of course.

[Side note: One time a friend asked me for a few recipes to try, and I ended up giving her all pasta recipes without even realizing it. Even more proof that I am a carb-a-holic.]

Anyways, even though my next long run isn't scheduled until Thursday, I decided to start carb-loading a little early this week. More like I just wanted an excuse to make this Upside-Down Fettuccine Bake. It's one of my momma's recipes, and it's super-yummy.

It takes about an hour from start to finish, so you won't have dinner on the table in a flash. (Sorry, but I'm no Rachael Ray.) But, about 25 minutes of that time is bake time, so you have time to finish up the dishes, fold the laundry, and clean the bathroom while you wait. Or surf the internet for more recipes. (Can you guess which I did?)


The steps are a little tricky, so here I will outline them.


You start off by making the sauce. Italian sausage, onion, tomatoes. A little basil. Spread that into the bottom of a greased 8-inch square pan.






Then, you make the noodle mixture. Spread that over the sauce mixture. Bake at 350*F for 25 minutes.






When it's all baked, you have to flip it onto the serving platter. That's why it's called Upside-Down Fettuccine Bake. And this is where it gets fun.


A few minutes after it came out of the oven... getting nervous.

Cover with your platter. (Or regular dinner plate, that works, too.)

Mid-flip! Eyes filled with anticipation!

Removing the pan. Will it all flip out alright?!?!?

Sweet, sweet success! 


Cut into wedges, and serve! With a cheesy noodle crust and a sweet sausagey-tomato topping, this one's a winner! Especially topped with some more Parmesan. It also heats up beautifully for leftovers.


Delicioso!




Upside-Down Fettuccine Bake


  • ½ lb. Italian sausage
  • ¼ cup chopped onion
  • 16-oz. can diced tomatoes
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • ½ cup Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 8 oz. hot cooked fettuccine
  • 3 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 2 tbsp. margarine
  • 2 tbsp. chopped parsley
  • ¼ tsp. garlic powder

Method

Preheat oven to 350*F. Brown meat in pan; drain. Add onion; cook until tender. Stir in tomatoes and oregano; bring to boil. Simmer twenty minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in mozzarella cheese. Spread into greased 8-inch square glass pan. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. In large bowl, toss noodles with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, eggs, margarine, parsley, and garlic powder. Spread noodle mixture over meat mixture. Bake for 25 minutes. Invert onto serving platter. To serve, cut into wedges.



Comments

YOU ARE THE MOST GORGEOUS THING IN THE WORLD!!! K, that pasta made me drool...I HAVE to try it!! Yay for foam rollers. Awesome run. Seriously, if you can do 18 (GOOD LUCK TODAY ON THE TREADMILL) you can totally do a marathon!! Yay for no school. We got so much snow today but we still have school:( I absolutely LOVE your blog and so excited to follow you. Let me know how your run goes!!c
Sara said…
Janae-- Thank you so much! :-) The 18 went really well... I didn't suffer from extreme boredom until the last 15 minutes or so. In Ohio we cancel for snow all the time. It is so frustrating because we have to make up a bunch of days in the summer. Oh well, at least it is fun now. Thanks for reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);