Skip to main content

How does one occupy herself for 18 miles on the treadmill? :-/

So, today school was cancelled. Again. I have a feeling we will still be in school in July.


We got about 6 inches of snow dumped on us last night, with winds so severe that we couldn't see out the back window. Or the front window. 


And I needed to get in a long run at some point today or tomorrow. I figured since I had all day off school, I might as well do it today. But, with the conditions, it meant one thing: TREADMILL






Now, I have run 14 miles on a treadmill before, and it wasn't death. After about 12 miles though, I was definitely ready to get off. So today would be an interesting task.


I got up around 7am to get some breakfast in my belly. (Last week's long run, I only ate a half a Clif bar before the run. Not the smartest idea. And no mid-run fueling. I didn't have a clue!)


I also bought some Clif Shot Blocks this week when I picked up my foam roller at the sporting goods store. I figured I'd give them a "shot" (haha)! I have had pretty bad experiences with stomach cramps and digestive issues while I run... ask anyone who's gone on a run longer than 8 miles with me. So the thought of actually eating something while I run seemed like it would only produce disastrous results.


So what does a girl do while she's strapped to a rotating gerbil wheel for 2.5 hours?


1.  Enjoy some quality time with the TV. Usually I don't watch a lot of TV. However, this week, since I've only been at work 1.5 days, I've watched a bit more than usual. Today I watched "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant." (insane!) Followed by Rachael Ray's talk show (love it!) and The View (don't love it so much. Those ladies are nutso.)


2.  Practice my mental math. I'm a numbers person (hello, math teacher!) so I constantly figure out how many minutes I've run, what my pace is, if I continue this pace, how long will it take me to finish, etc... This might drive some people crazy but it keeps me content.


3.  Look forward to my next Shot Block snack. I got the strawberry flavor, and these things are like fruit snacks on steroids! Delicious! They gave me a little tummy trouble, but not so much that I had to stop running. I ate one after 1-hr of running, then 1.5-hrs, then 2-hrs. Not sure if that's how you're supposed to do it, but it worked for me!






4.  Debate with myself which treat I want to make this afternoon to reward myself, these Cake Batter Rice Krispy Treats or these Better Than Crack Brownies. Should I take a vote? My heart is leaning towards the second choice. Brownies, topped with a Chocolate-PB Rice Krispy layer? Who could pass that up? (Besides all my students out there who "don't like chocolate" when I am a super-awesome teacher and give them candy. Why would I buy anything besides chocolate?)


5.  Obsessively wipe my sweat with a little towel that my gym so graciously provides for us. Try to remind myself that sweating feels good! And try to envision that I am sweating because I am running along the beach in the middle of the summer, not because I am running inside while staring at 16 million snow banks out in the parking lot.


6.  Try to decide where my Business Man will be taking me to dinner tonight. This one didn't take long. Beer Barrel for some delicious, protein-filled, carbalicious, and nutritious pizza! (Just ignore the six layers of cheese and grease. :-P)

7.  Ponder if Diet Mountain Dew could be a good mid-run beverage choice. I mean, it kinda of looks like lemon-lime Gatorade, so shouldn't it have the same effects? (No worries, I saved my Dew-drinking for after the run. After drinking 2 humongous glasses of water as well. No need to worry about hydration here!)

The next Gatorade?


All in all, 18 miles = SUCCESS! (We'll see how I feel tomorrow... bwa ha ha...)

Treadmills are great, but nothing could ever replace a run with one of these ladies.

Comments

Anonymous said…
"Did you ever know you were my hero...." LOL. I'm proud of you! :D

We just got done deep cleaning the house, so John's on the treadmill now, and then it's my turn. I haven't been on in over 2 weeks, so this ought to be interesting. If I can get a 5K out of myself, I'll be happy!

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Hurray! :)
Sara said…
Amber-- Are you singing to me? Haha... I should have spent my day cleaning, but.... I have no excuses.

Don't push it too hard if it's been 2 weeks! You don't wanna get hurt.

I didn't realize we'd be seeing each other 4 day sin a row! It shall be fun. :-) Can't wait!
beaneddie said…
i'm impressed! i'm a new runner myself and still learning the ropes. don't have a marathon goal, but something shorter would be fun. it's really interesting to me to read your blogs about running, and ur diff strategies. i run with my ipod :)
Sara said…
flatbean-- You should run a 5km or 10km! I like to run with my ipod when I run outside.
Claire said…
I just found your blog through SR...I love it!

Also, I do math in my head while I run on the treadmill too! I am always trying to divide and hour by my pace and whatnot...makes the miles go a little quicker at least.
Sara said…
Claire-- Thanks! Math is awesome!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);