Skip to main content

Snowpocalypse, Snowmageddon, whatever you wanna call it...

So, the Bean Town has been hit with some weather. As well as the rest of the Midwest. Some are calling it "Snowmageddon"; some are calling it "Snowpocalypse." I call it my friend because it means no school! (However, it has not hindered my quality of life just yet. As soon as it prevents me from doing something I want to do, I will probably be so over it.)


The view outside my back door. Pretty!


I am somewhat crazy and have anxiety while trying to sleep in the morning if there might be a snow day. Think of a 4-year-old on Christmas morning. This morning I was up at 4:50am. Our first round of 'text alerts' goes out at 5am, if there is a closing. I anxiously waited for the text. Got nothing. I tried to go back to sleep, but only slept for patches of 5 or 10 minutes at a time. Finally, at 6:45am, I decided to just get up and go to the gym. (I already knew we had a delay.) Ironically, at 6:49am, I got the text that school was closed. Oh well, I was already up, and went to the gym to run anyway. This would justify my nap later today. ;-)


After the gym, I stopped at the grocery store to pick up a few items, just in case we got snowed in for a week. I got chicken, peppered bacon, mozzarella cheese, blackberries, and cookie dough ice cream. You know, the essentials. 


I didn't any attempt any huge projects (like last snow day's cake pops) today. This morning, I lounged around, and made oatmeal in my new bowl from Anthropologie. This was one of my purchases from last weekend down in Columbus. It was so nice to have the luxury of eating breakfast in my own home, instead of in my classroom in front of the computer screen or a stack of papers to grade.
Isn't it pretty? I also scored a new Valentine dishtowel from Crate and Barrel. So glad I saved my Christmas money for a special shopping trip!
And because you're just dying to know, my favorite breakfast recently has been maple brown  sugar oatmeal, cooked with extra cinnamon and blackberries. And a big ole' dollop of my fav, Trader Joe's Almond Butter. If you haven't tried almond butter, you don't know what you're missing. It's like peanut butter on crack. And full of healthy monounsaturated fat! (The "good" fat, if there is such a thing.) 




Anyways, my morning was spent tidying up the apartment and such. I created for myself a "Cake Pop Shelf", to store all my cake pop ingredients and supplies. (I know, totally unnecessary, but totally me to do something like this.) It is located in our "guest room" aka random room where we put random things we don't know what to do with. If you want to come stay the night, you will be taunted by cake mixes and candy melts in your sleep. At least you'd have sweet dreams! Haha...


It is right next to my "Running Shelf". I guess I am all about creating shelfs for my favorite hobbies. Have I ever showed you my running shelf? It has various medals, race bibs, awards, and all that jazz from cross country and track and road races. When I miss my teammates from college, sometimes I go and sit in front of the shelf and it helps, just to channel that positive running energy. Totally kidding. Although I do love the pic at the top of the Fab Four. (That was our nickname for ourselves.)

You're looking at some hot runner girl trophies and my GC varsity letter. Also, my favorite award/trophy is that little green guy in the front. It's a little pear figurine! It was from the CIDA Eat 'Em Up 5km in Peoria one year.

Anyways, back to the Cake Pop Shelf. The bottom shelf consists of all my frostings. The second shelf from the bottom has all my cake mixes. Then, we've got the candy melts, in many different colors. The next shelf up contains all the sprinkles and decorating items. Finally, the top shelf stores all the packaging supplies.

Frostings and cake mixes. Yes, I've got quite the plethora of flavors.

Candy melts, in every color! And sparkly sprinkles, too!
Doesn't the whole thing just make you smile and light up inside? :-P

The weather held off for a while, so I had the privilege of joining some friends for lunch. One of the best things about having friends who are teachers is that when there's a snow day, we all have a snow day, so we can hang out! (Provided the weather's not completely ridiculous.) We dined at Fazoli's, which brought me back to my college days. We would stop here all the time on the way to/from track/cross country meets for some carb-loading. Because you most definitely need to carb-load to race a 5km. 


This afternoon was spent napping and baking my Business Man some cookies. Just your basic chocolate chip cookies, with some Valentine m&m's added. You can find the recipe here.






My Business Man made it home safely and now we're off to spend some QT together. (With the Biggest Loser, too, of course... :-P) School's already cancelled for tomorrow, so I'm hoping to find something fun to bake tomorrow!


Stay safe and warm everyone!

Comments

Susan said…
Sara, this post has really made me want to run to Trader Joe's. Guess I'll have to wait for our world to defrost.
Sara said…
We can go together some day! When there is no more ice... haha. The closest one is Easton.

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);