Skip to main content

Pork BBQ... the Lazy Way, and some Big News!

Long time, no posting... sorry about that!


Life has gotten a bit crazy here in the Bean Town.


Some big news! I got a teaching job for the 2010/2011 school year! I am teaching Geometry and Algebra 2 at a high school that is only about 3 miles from our apartment. I'm very excited, and also very thankful for being given an opportunity so close to home. My Business Man is excited as well.


So the past week or two has been spent scurrying around, trying to get all the paperwork complete, attending a staff retreat, and frantically trying to pull together lessons for the first couple weeks of the year. As the school year progresses, I hope to do a few posts on my experiences of my 1st year teaching, and the school I'm teaching in. It's a little different than a traditional high school. :-)


I am also helping out with cross country at my new school, and have gone to practice the past two days. The team is on the small side, but the girls (who I will mostly be working with) seem really enthusiastic. I am looking forward to getting to know them throughout the season, and also having some running buddies!


As the school year starts, life is going to get even crazier so my posting on this blog might be sporadic. I apologize in advance.


I have been trying to make large meals, now, while I have the time to cook. That way I can throw half of it in a tupperware and into the freezer. Voila! Instant dinner once school starts and I have no time to cook. Today I made Pork BBQ in the crockpot.


Yummy yummy.
It's super-simple.


[Side note: One time, in college, my roommate and I planned a picnic for a group of friends to St. Louis before seeing Disney on Ice. Don't ask about the Disney on Ice... 


I only had a baby crockpot with me at college, and had bought a 6-lb. pork butt roast. Yea right, like that will fit into a 3-qt. crockpot.


So, the remedy to the situation: make it in 2 batches!


Slight problem: One of the batches had to be made overnight.


So, Talen (roommate and BFF) and I began the batch of Pork BBQ at about 9pm. We set our alarms for 2:30am. And we got up and shredded pork at 2:30 in the morning. It is actually one of my fondest memories with Tal-Tal.]


Pork BBQ
3-4lb. pork shoulder or butt roast
16-oz. bottle BBQ sauce
1 red onion, diced (optional)


Basically, plop the pork along with the onion into a crockpot. Let it cook on low about 6-7 hours, until it is falling apart.


Then, take it out, shred it. Get rid of all the bones and fat. Then dump the juices out of the crockpot. Put the meat back in, and pour the BBQ sauce in.


I like to use Sweet Baby Ray's. I use it for everything, not just Pork BBQ. Sweet Potato Fries dipped in this sweet sauce. On turkey sandwiches. On burgers, especially ones with bacon. As pizza sauce. As a glaze for salmon. The list could go on forever.


What's that? Sweet Baby Ray's?
Let it cook 2-3 hours more on low. Then, switch the setting to "keep warm." That way you don't scorch your pork. 


You can serve the pork on buns... or alongside cornbread.





P.S. My favorite cornbread mix is this:


Question: What's your favorite part of back-to-school season?

Mine is back-to-school shopping! I definitely indulged in a few new pieces of clothing... for teaching, of course. Maybe I will do a post of my new fashions.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm so excited for you! My favorite part of back to school is the first day when you get to see who is in your class and you get the syllabus. Have fun teaching!!

P.S. I'm totally stealing this BBQ pork recipe.
aevansb said…
Congrats on the job. Exciting! I hope your students don't find your blog after you start blogging about them. :-P

Def post your back to school fash - and then post links on *my* Sarah's blog. She'll appreciate it.
Sara said…
Haha... great idea! I'm excited for you guys to come next weekend. Not quite sure what's on the agenda yet, but I'm sure it will be super-fun.
Tim Hawkins said…
That Disney outing was a good time!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);