Skip to main content

Running across the border

To Michigan, that is.


One of my good friends from college lives in Michigan about 130 miles from the Bean Town in Ohio. I've always wanted to tour her stomping grounds, and went up last Friday night! There's a 5km race that she's raved about for several years, and that happened to be on Saturday, so double bonus! See a friend and run a race, in the same weekend!


When I arrived, we did a practice run-through of the race course. The race is called Run Clark Lake, and it goes along the coast of Clark Lake. (If you couldn't gather that from the name of the race... :-P)
The lake... don't you want to live here?
After that, we chilled at her bf's house. (He lives just about a 1/2-mile from the picture above.) We ordered lunch from the Beach Bar. Which had the best tomato soup ever. Why were we eating tomato soup in the middle of hot, sweaty August? Because it was that good.


Later that night, we decided to pull out our GC traditions and make spaghetti. You gotta carb-load the night before a race, right?!?
We started out rockin' to some Kesha on Youtube.
Dance party in the kitchen!
And a pre-race meal of spaghetti would not be complete without garlic bread!
We go for the good stuff.
Not quite sure what this was about.
Then we had a small dilemma. We were using the stove, oven, microwave, computer, and laundry machines all at the same time. Apparently, that is enough to blow a fuse. Lovely!


Oh, no! We're stuck in the dark!
We had to wait a few minutes for the power to come back on, so we entertained ourselves by preparing "Appetizers". Also known as melba toasts topped with butter and parmesan cheese.
Michelle's a hottie. That's all I can say.
Mmmm... this tastes so good! Can't you tell?
At this point, we noticed parmesan cheese was moldy. Maybe that's why it didn't taste too great?

Finally, we got the power up and running again and we were able to enjoy our spaghetti!
Carb-licious!
The next morning, we got up bright and early for the race. We all love mornings!
Yay for running!
Yay for running early in the morning! This is Michelle's bf Alex, by the way. He's a pretty cool guy.
Yay for having someone to run with for once!
It was a great morning for a race. The weather was actually cool. I could have used a long-sleeve warming up! We did the usual 13-minute jog warm-up, and then all the drills from GC. It was actually pretty nostalgic. I was a little sad that I'm not running any cross country races with the team this fall! 

Before we knew it, it was time for the race to start! Now, I have been running all summer, (minus about a week after the wedding), but not doing any real speed work-outs. I didn't really know what to expect.

But, I finished in 20:28! I was quite happy. My 5km PR is 19:08, so that's pretty far off, but to be able to run sub-21:00 without much speed training was satisfiable for me.

Michelle, the running beast that she is, ran 19:03, a 30-second PR from last year's Run Clark Lake! Way to go Shelly-Bug!

After about a 4-mile cool-down, we decided to pose for some fun pictures while we waited for the awards ceremony.

We're so BA...


Friends for life! 50% of the Fab 4. One day soon we will re-unite!


We were pretending to be running here. Michelle looks like a leprechaun, and I look like I'm about to face-plant.
Then, we wandered over to the Beach Bar for the awards ceremony. We had our choice of pop or beer after the race, and we both went with pop. Not sure if I could stomach a beer after running 8 miles. Not sure if I could stomach a beer ever.
Where the fun and festivities took place.
Michelle ended up getting 2nd in our age group! (ages 18-24) The girl who won ran a 18:06. She was a runner for Michigan State, so go figure.
Posing with her award. 
After the race, we pretty much headed back to Alex's house to get cleaned up. I then drove back to the Bean Town because my Business Man was missing me very much! (Or, maybe I was missing him... :-O)

Beautiful view near Alex's house.
Thanks for a great weekend Michelle! Had a great time!

Comments

Alissa said…
Ohmigosh! I have the black nike shorts on as I read this blog. It made my heart deeply happy that you and Michelle both raced in them. I am running a 10k on Saturday. Sounds like you had a blast!
Liz Anjos said…
Awwwww... loved reading this! Sounds like you two had fun and it made me miss spaghetti nights!
This brought tears to my eyes as I read this, one because I could not stop laughing, and two because I wish I could have been there! I MISS you guys!!!! The Fab 4 Will reunite!! Maybe you can blog about coming to Macon, and run with me!! Luv yaz!!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);