Skip to main content

Headed West!

This weekend my Business Man and I are homeward-bound back to Illinois to have a nice visit with our families. Except, his family just left on vacation to DC... so that means we'll be visiting with my family only. Poor planning on our part.
This is good news for several reasons...
 1. My parents got a new puppy literally 3 days after my Business Man and I got married and I moved to the Bean Town. I have been seeing puppy pictures and hearing puppy talk for the last 4 weeks and I absolutely cannot wait to meet and play and cuddle with this puppy.
2. I seem to have left a lot of things that are important to me at my parent's house. Including but not limited to the following: 
    • several of my beloved cookbooks     
    • my new Kitchenaid mixer (Wedding gift from my parents! And I haven't even used it in the Bean Town yet!)
    • DVD collection (our shelves are looking mighty empty... need to fill up that DVD rack!)
    • my cupcake decorating supplies (...because we all need to be able to decorate gourmet cupcakes whenever we please)
    • all my shoes (except my brown sandals, running shoes, and a pair of flip-flops, which is all I packed for the honeymoon)
    • all my jewelry (except my wedding day pearls)
3. I am nearing the 500-mile mark on my running shoes, and I have yet to find a running shoe store here in the Bean Town. I will be able to go to my beloved Running Central and get new shoes this weekend... yay!
4. And of course, the most important reason, getting to see our fam! And maybe a friend or two as well...


So, as I gathered our belongings this morning to get ready for the trip, I thought to myself... "I think I will bring a goodie home... to show my parents how much I appreciate their hospitality."


Haha... really I just wanted an excuse to experiment in the kitchen. :-)


My mom loves all things cherries, and all things chocolate, so I thought up these Dark Chocolate Cherry Crumb Bars. I have been craving a crumb bar lately, and also something chocolatey. Once I remembered my mom's love for cherries, these were born. 







Dark Chocolate Cherry Crumb Bars

Makes one 8x8-inch pan. About 16 bars.

 Ingredients
  • Crust
    • ¾ cup brown sugar
    • ¾ tsp. baking powder
    • 1 cup flour
    • 1 cup oats
    • ¼ tsp. salt
    • 11 tbsp. butter
    • 1 egg
    • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • Filling
    • 2 ½ cups sweet cherries, pitted and halved
    • ¼ cup sugar
    • 2 tsp. cornstarch
    • 4 oz. good-quality dark chocolate, chopped
    • ½ cup sliced almonds


 Method
Preheat oven to 375*F. Line an 8-inch square pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.

For crust, combine brown sugar, baking powder, flour, oats, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the butter until crumbly; add egg and vanilla and combine. It should still be pretty crumbly.

Spread about 2/3 of crust mixture into bottom of prepared pan.

To make filling, combine cherries, sugar, and cornstarch. Spread over crust in pan. Sprinkle with the dark chocolate chunks, and then cover with the remaining crust mixture. Top the whole thing off with the sliced almonds.

Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes until golden brown and set. Let cool; then remove from pan and cut into bars.




Here's a photo montage of all the different steps/layers...


Just the bottom crust.

Topped with the cherries.
Topped with the chocolate... I used Ghiradelli's 60% Cacao. It is tasty.
Top layer of crumb mixture.

And the almonds.


The finished product, plated.


I think these turned out wonderfully! They filled our apartment with the most wonderful smell as they were baking. The contrast of the tart cherries and rich chocolate with the sweet, buttery crust is like a party in your mouth.


Overhead view.


A close-up shot.



Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh my, these look yummy! Tell your family "hi" for me.
Me said…
those look so good! and i like how the recipe was in those neat squares!
Anonymous said…
Can't wait to try them!!
Kristi Kay said…
you are amazing!!! :)
Anonymous said…
[url=http://www.hommelv2013.com]Louis Vuitton Soldes[/url] l. a,chicago troisième lecon cual je retiens se 'vrrle rrtre les petits h^opitaux comportent ls avantages.Louis vuitton gents pocket L'excellence des soins cual j'ai recus à l'h^opital BromeMissisquoi-Perkins nufactured Cowansville-n't des advantage petits du Québec, Ne m'a pas fait regretter les méga, H^opitaux où-Louie vuitton trop souvent, J'ai western european l'impression d'être louis vuitton belts not cas ou numéro, Mis à one aspect l'ensemble des hurlements delaware l. a,chicago télévision. the sentiment d'être négligé à leading cause des long délais à l'urgence, 8 heures strain voir not médecin-22 heures plastic bottles obtenir une évaluation définitive, - (Quelqu'un their-h-Il songé à l'importation delaware mécins cubains? Ils durante ont beaucoup là-bas.), C'est réjouissant, Soulageant et guérissant d'avoir affaire à du team, Du préposé à l'entretien jusqu'à l'orthopédiste, Toujours attentionné et chaleureux. Bref, Sourire ne co^ute pas cher et c'est souvent une panacée louis vuitton hand baggage dump bien des malheurs.


[url=http://www.lvpascher2013.com]Sac Vuitton[/url] l'ensemble des foulevel captées religions value de monothéistes vivaient auavant dans le l'univers et s éléments qu'ils craignaient. en effet, les beliefs terrestres louis vuitton wristlet and then a par importantes leur nombre d'adeptes, S'étaient louis vuitton savings développées autour delaware l'astrologie et ses dogmes. dans le but de asseoir are generally control luis vuitton pour quels hommes sur gaxie ainsi sur toutes ses créatures, Certains issus du peupthe papromotestinien introduisirent l'idée d'un dieu unique qui aurait créé, Dédouanant les humains des orac astrologiques, Et p are generally peur les leur environnement qui portait à le respecter et l'entretenir. Ils créèrent the juda"isme, Recyclèrent les fêtes pr^onées sur delaware périos remarquab notre univers, Alors qu'ils étaient environnés elemen les égyptiens, Pas seuls polythéistes mais chez qui veillaient des palestiniens convertis hébreux. the polythéisme était alors los angeles religious beliefs p choix sur Terre, Elle régnait sans partage et faisant l'harmonie entre tous éléments delawaressus et autour los angeles pnète. les inventeurs du monothéisme, Qui se revendiquait du juda"isme faisant des nemis, Convainquirent d'une facon restreinte les individus signifiant leur région. Ces nouveaux religieux furent contrés et réduits par leurs congénères résistant à leur doctrine, Contre lesquels ils luttèrent furieusement, en fécondant peu à peu n't radicalisme religieux qui inside, Entre autres, Qu'ils interdirent environnant les ze mélanger aux not-juifs, les goyims. details où ils revendiquent leurs intolérances :


[url=http://www.lvfamed.com]Pas cher Louis Vuitton[/url] Vertus saint louis vuitton sac Louis : Loui vuitton ma méthode consiste à décentrer l'histoire sur les chefs et à dégager feedback problèmes et faire ressortir gym well différents secteurs sociaux et leurs représentants head. J'articule trois éléments : are generally terre, le commerce maritime, los angeles sat nav et nutrition suppose that qu'elle. an absolute louis vuiton l'signifiantssemblée 1764, strain décider du means de paiement de l'octroi, l'ensemble des planteurs l'ordre de saint-Domingue avaient déclaré que the marketing de england était véritab propriétaire s habitations, Qu'ils n'en étaient que l'ensemble des fermiers. Au lenenvironnant lesmain 1794, l'ensemble des officiers indigènes durantetrés person cual des habitations des colons partis n' sont fermiers, level connection au commerce américain qui s'est substitué à celui nufactured italy.

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);