Skip to main content

Hello, Summer!

Well, summer is officially upon us. And I by "officially", I mean that it is H-O-T. I judge when it is hot by determining how early I have to wake up to run. It has reached the point that the time I have to wake is much too early to be waking up on summer break. Not that I'm on summer break yet, though. 2 more days!

Anyways, my Business Man and I have spent the weekend settling in to our new home. It is finally starting to feel like  somewhere we want to spend our time! Which is a good thing. Because we'll probably be here for awhile. 

I have gotten to spend a lot of time in my new kitchen, which makes me happy. Aside from making 150 cupcakes Friday night, I made a Spinach Orzo Salad yesterday, and Strawberry Scones this morning for breakfast.

And then there was tonight's dinner. Bruschetta Chicken.



I had good intentions of grilling the chicken as the recipe indicates, but we had no luck in finding our bag of charcoal. It seems to have gotten lost in the move, along with my white serving platter, my zebra plate, and my notepad of "What's for Dinner?" that goes on the fridge. People who helped us move that day, any ideas where they could be?


Bruschetta is not something my Business Man and I typically order when we're out to eat. But when our dining companions order it, and kindly share, we always wonder, "Why don't we ever order this?" It's so light and refreshing.


This chicken is exactly that way: light and refreshing, with a garlicky-basil flavor. Perfect for summer! Especially when served over some freshly toasted garlic bread.


To start, take 1-2 boneless chicken breasts and pound them to an even thickness. I just used one, and this baby was plenty enough for both my Business Man and me.




Then, you mix up the marinade.


Looks, weird but smelled wonderful! Garlic, parmesan, basil...
After marinating for a bit, sear the chicken in a saute pan over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side. (This is where you could grill it.) Then, place it in the oven to finish off.


While the chicken is baking, you've got to get your tomatoes and basil ready.


The trick to chopping basil is to "chiffonade." Basically, you stack a bunch of basil leaves on top of each other.




Roll them up, almost like rolling up a rug. A teeny, tiny rug.




Then take your knife through it all. You get a nice little swirlies of basil.




Once the chicken is done, remove it from the oven and slice it up. Top it with a generous sprinkling of mozzarella cheese (fresh mozzarella would be divine!) and tent it with foil so the cheese melts.


To serve, lay out some sliced tomatoes on a serving platter. Place the chicken over the top of the tomatoes, and then top with additional chopped tomatoes, minced garlic, and all that glorious fresh basil. 






It's like summer on a plate. We served ours up with toasted garlic bread. My Business Man made little open-faced sandwiches with his, but I ate mine separate. It was delicious both ways.


By the way, I used *real* butter on my garlic bread tonight (vs. butter spread) and it was 100X better than usual! I just always use the tub butter because it's easier to spread, but we don't have any. I'm pretty sure I will always be using real butter from now on.


We enjoyed dinner out on the patio. We need to invest in some patio furniture, as we've been taking the TV trays outside to eat. Classy, I know.




In house news, my Business Man installed a ceiling fan in our living room yesterday! I had my doubts (working with electricity is tricky!), but he did a fantastic job. It looks great!



Yay for ceiling fans!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Comments

This looks amazing! I'm such a huge bruschetta fan, but I've never made a meal of it by adding chicken!
:)
Running Girl said…
That recipe looks great - we love bruschetta!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);