Skip to main content

Life's a Beach!

So, let's rewind a bit... back before this weekend, even back before the Foody Tour of Savannah.


Last Friday, my Business Man and I took off for a beachy vacation with some of his friends (now mine, too!) from college. One of his friend's family owns a house on Daufuskie Island, and it was open to the 10 of us for the long weekend. 




The cool thing about Daufuskie Island? No cars! You take a ferry over, and leave your car on the mainland. Once you get there, everyone gets around on golf carts. It's so cute!




We spent a lot of time laying out at the pool. And reading our favorite books and magazines. I finally finished my book club book from April. (Better late than never?)



My Business Man's choice of reading material. 
One night, the group ventured over to the mainland to do some shopping and go out to eat. We ended up at Steamer's Seafood


I was excited for seafood. And corn fritters. They were the best.

My Business Man ordered the Fried Seafood Frenzy platter. Was it worth the $28? You'll have to ask him... although I did snatch up a few fried shrimp and corn fritters.


Catherine lucked out with the best deal of the night... kids' meal chicken strips which came on a frisbee for a plate. And she got to keep the frisbee!


I was also introduced to Rita's Italian Ice. Very tasty! I didn't think I would like slushy mixed with custard, but it was delicious. 


We got to take ferry back as the sun set that night. It was pretty.

Friends on the ferry!

Scarfing a cupcake on the ferry... totally normal,  I know.
One of the mornings we played an invigorating game of croquet on the island.







And by we, I mean everyone else played while I watched on the side. It was hot and I wanted to stay in the shade.




One afternoon, we took our golf carts over to the "other side" of the island. You see, the side of the island where we stayed was pretty ritzy... beautiful beach houses, luggage delivered to your door, awesome pool, a visitor's center/house with free coffee and muffins. The list could go on and on.

Things got a little crazy between the two golf carts. That's all I can say.
The other side of the island isn't quite like the side we stayed on. Think... redneck?


If you look closely, you can see an old painted school bus behind the bushes. Why?!
But, the other side of the island is where the nice sandy beach is.

Definitely worth the 20-minute golf cart ride.
On our last night on the island, we staked out a pavilion that had a grill. (The grill at our house wasn't working properly.) The pavilion was conveniently located near a pond-ish body of water. 

Scoping out gators/trying to catch fish.
Hey lil' guy!
Dustin was super-happy with his catch!
So, we had sent the guys over early to the pavilion to get the grills started. Somehow, by the time the ladies got there with the food, the grill had run out of propane.

So the guys improvised and created an impromptu grill in the fireplace.

Not quite sure it was the most sanitary or safe grill... but it got the meat cooked! And then we were able to have s'mores after without any problems.

While the guys attempted to figure out the grill situation, the ladies got down with some sangria.



Never had sangria before, but it was delicious! Great time with great friends.

We were so sad to see the weekend end... but back to reality! Just wish I could ride on a ferry to work here in the Bean Town!

Enjoying coffee on the ferry on the last morning.

Comments

Talen said…
Remember when Rachel from "Friends" drank too much sangria in college and made out with another woman and their coconut bras kept knocking together...I hope you didn't do any of that. Ben would get jealous!
Alissa said…
Your hair is SUPER cute! I love it! So cute!
aevansb said…
So glad you had your camera with you to capture moments no one else caught. Great post.

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);