Skip to main content

Thanksgiving, a few days early...

So, as you all know, last week I was privileged to attend a Taste of Home Fall Cooking Show. (See the recap here. By the way... whenever you see "TOH" that means Taste of Home. Just so ya know.)

Ever since, I have been inspired to kick my game up a notch in the kitchen. Lately, I have begun to rely on the same quick easy meals. (Grilled cheese & tomato soup, BBQ Chicken Sandwiches, Tacos...)

Also, my Business Man and I had a rare weekend in the Bean Town with not much planned. So why not devote my whole Sunday afternoon to cooking a scrumptious meal?

We decided that we'd have our own mini-Thanksgiving. Minus the turkey. (Neither of us is the biggest fan of turkey. It always seems to be dry or tough.)

On the Menu:
     Spinach Salad with Cranberries & Feta
     Pear-Stuffed Pork Tenderloin (from the TOH cooking show)
     Green Bean Casserole with a Twist (a TOH recipe)
     Cranberry Sauce
     Golden Honey Pan Rolls (another TOH recipe)

And for dessert, you will have to wait until the end of the post... sneaky sneaky!

The table all set! We used our beautiful handmade placemats that we received as a wedding gift. (Thanks Renee!)

We started with a spinach salad. Just some baby spinach, mixed with a little red onion, dried cranberries, and feta cheese. With a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette. Nothing too fancy here.

Fresh and green, a refreshing start to a heavy meal.

Next up, the star of the show. Well, the intended star of the show. The Pear-Stuffed Pork Loin. (I think the rolls ended up stealing the limelight in the end.)



This recipe was a little complicated, but oh so delicious. Imagine soft pears and dried apricots, mixed with a honey-garlic glaze, all stuffed into a pork tenderloin and rolled up and sliced cinnamon-roll style. There was not even a need for gravy or anything of the sort!

We realized we did not have a meat thermometer, just as the pork was supposed to come out of the oven. After quickly trying to improvise, we also realized a candy thermometer does not work well for finding the internal temperature of meat. Oh well, neither of us has gotten sick yet! (Recipe at end of post.)

And a side dish: Green Bean Casserole, miniature-sized. I figured that we would have enough leftovers with all the other stuff, so might as well create fewer leftovers with this one. And, this recipe adds cream cheese, sour cream, and shredded cheese to the traditional favorite. Why wouldn't it be good? And it was. Especially since I about tripled the amount of fried onions on top. And then proceeded to scrape most of them off into my serving. 

Ever so cutely displayed in our cute little mini-casserole dish. Love this!

And the star of the show........................ Golden Honey Pan Rolls!

These were soooooo sooooooo good. The picture does not do it justice. The recipe called for the use of a bread machine, which I do not have. After a couple minutes of googling, I figured out a way to make it work without. And they turned out so well! Almost like Texas Roadhouse Rolls. My only regret is 'glazing' only half the batch. I had never glazed rolls pre-bake, so I was a little unsure.

Also, the recipe said it made 24 rolls, and I definitely only got 15. But, no big deal here. We just like bigger rolls?
These were definitely the #1 selection of the menu, considering it has only been 24 hours since the meal and there are only two rolls left.
And here is the final presentation on the plate. And yes, that is canned jellied cranberry sauce. My mom would get it about once a year growing up, and we would have it about a week before Thanksgiving. It brings me back to my childhood years. I believe I saw my Business Man poking it with fork, watching and jiggle, and asking "What is that??"



And then, after our food babies digested for a bit, we had DESSERT! The Pioneer Woman's Pecan Pie

[Side note: I adore the Pioneer Woman. I got hooked on her website a few years ago, and she has since published a cookbook. Go buy it. Every recipe that I have ever tried of hers is delicious.] 

I had never made a pecan pie before, and I can't even really remember eating one. This was superb. With a little scoop of vanilla bean ice cream, it totally hit the spot.

Good thing my Business Man took the rest to work! (After he informed me that he had a slice for breakfast. Men...)
And that's that! Our first Mini-Thanksgiving! And, the beginning of many posts dedicated to holiday cooking and baking. Mua ha ha...






Pear-Stuffed Pork Loin

 Ingredients
  • 1 boneless whole pork loin roast, 3-4 lbs.
  • ½ cup chopped peeled ripe pears
  • ½ cup chopped dried apricots
  • ½ cup chopped pecans
  • tbsp. parsley
  • 3 tbsp. honey
  • 1 tbsp. minced garlic
  • ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
  • Glaze
    • 1 cup finely chopped peeled ripe pear
    • ½ cup finely chopped onion
    • ¼ cup honey
    • 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
    • 2 tbsp. chili sauce
    •  tsp. cayenne pepper


 Method
Cut a lengthwise slit down the center of the roast to within 1/2-inch of bottom. Open roast so it lies flat, and cover with plastic wrap. Flatten to 3/4-inch thickness.

Remove plastic wrap. In a small bowl, combine ripe pears, dried apricots, pecans, parsley, honey, garlic, and cayenne pepper; spread over roast to within 1 inch of edges. Roll up from a long side; tie with kitchen string at 2-inch intervals. Place in a shallow roasting pan lined with heavy-duty foil.

Combine the glaze ingredients; spoon over roast. Bake, uncovered, at 350*F for 1 hr 15 min to 1 hr 30 min or until a meat thermometer reads 160*F. Baste occasionally with pan drippings. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before slicing.










Comments

Anonymous said…
Sara,

I look forward to getting to know you more! :) You totally need to teach me how to cook - dang, girl! :D

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Amber

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);