Skip to main content

It's that time of year...

Christmas-time is here! 


My Business Man and I had a wonderful family-filled Thanksgiving break. We traveled back to Illinois, and got to visit lots of family and friends. We squeezed in a lot of eating, some shopping, and even a 4-mile road race! 'Twas a great time of rejuvenation and cheer. 


Before we left the Bean Town, we went ahead and put up our Christmas tree, so it would be all ready for the Christmas festivities when we returned. While we were home, we picked up all our ornaments and decorations that had still been living with our parents so we could decorate!


Last night was the perfect cozy night for some tree trimming. We started off with a comforting casserole for dinner, Company Casserole. My mom used to make this for me growing up, and it's the perfect winter meal. The recipe actually came from her aunt, I believe. I changed it a little by adding the spinach. (Gotta get those veggies in somewhere!)


I think it is virtually impossible to take an attractive picture of a casserole. Just sayin'.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________


Company Casserole

Ingredients


  • 1 ½ lbs. ground beef
  • 8-oz. cans tomato sauce
  • tsp. garlic salt
  • dash pepper
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 cup cottage cheese
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 10-oz. package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
  • 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
  • 8-oz. package egg noodles, cooked and drained

Method

Preheat oven to 350*F. Brown ground beef; drain off fat. Stir in garlic salt, pepper, and tomato sauce. Simmer 5 minutes. Mix with onion, cottage cheese, sour cream, and spinach. In large dish, mix noodles and cooked mixture. Cover with grated cheese. Bake 35-40 minutes in preheated oven.

After filling our hungry bellies, we got to work putting on the ornaments. It was so nice that the tree was already up, and lit, so we just got to do the fun part!


My Business Man is very particular about how ornaments should be hung. I got many a discerning look from him as I placed the ornaments on the tree. I also would not be surprised if some got re-placed while my back was turned... or while I was guzzling Diet Mountain Dew. (My recent beverage of choice. And yes, I can drink DMD at 8pm and still sleep like a baby all night long.)


What are we waiting for? Here's the tree!


All finished! Check out our neat-o new tree skirt from T.J. Maxx. Love that place! Now it's just waiting for presents underneath it!

Here's a few of our favorite ornaments...


This teal ball is simple, but has always been one of my favorites. It's huuuge! (Think bigger than a softball!) And it's just so glittery and swirly and so nice to look at.





This Chinese-themed ornament is special because my Business Man's two younger sisters are both adopted from China. They were both in our wedding. Sarah Beth was a bridesmaid and Emma was our flower girl.

[Side note: While home over T-break, Emma was totally chillin' around in her flower girl dress. So precious and fun! I'm thinking I might need to do that with my wedding dress. Might as well get some more use out of it! ha!]


Obviously, this ornament represents our love for java. (aka coffee!) Lately I have been all about the pumpkin spice creamer in my morning cuppa jo. Speaking of Christmas and coffee, I have yet to get my Starbucks' Christmas cup! Every year when the Starbucks' red Christmas cups come out, I can't wait to get my first Gingerbread Latte or Peppermint Mocha in that special red cup that brings such joy. Hasn't happened yet! (Goal for this weekend perhaps.)


If you know me at all, then you know that I am absolutely the cupcake queen. This is only one of several ornaments dedicated to cupcakes. There's not quite as many cupcakes on this tower as there were at our wedding!




And finally, an ornament with a painting of Wilson's... the place where my Business Man and I got engaged a year and a half ago! It's an old-fashioned ice cream parlor in Door County, Wisconsin. It's so cute and fun and holds such great memories.

That's just a glimpse of our tree and its beautiful ornaments! I will be posting more pics of the rest of our Christmas decorations as the season progresses.


And....... on a completely different note, for the month of December, I am doing a BLOG CHALLENGE!


"What type of challenge?" you may be asking yourselves.... Well of course, it is baking-related.


"25 Days of Christmas Cookies"


This means, that every day from December 1st to December 25th, I will blog about a different cookie recipe. In total, I will be baking 25 types of Christmas cookies over the month of December. Good thing I have co-workers who love baked goods! And there might be some lucky recipients of Christmas care packages as well. ;-)


I am also putting a shout-out to anyone who might want to guest-post and share their own Christmas cookie recipe here on the blog. You don't have to have a blog to do so, and I would love the extra participation and new recipes! Just leave a comment or send me a facebook message.


Now I'm off to research some new and exciting recipes! Can't wait!





Comments

Anonymous said…
Love the tree!! I'm jealous, we can't have a big one or one with breakable ornaments because of a certain mischievous kitten.
Anonymous said…
Your style is so unique compared to other people I've read stuff from. Many thanks for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I will just book mark this site.

My web page - sat world forum cccam anleitung

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);