Skip to main content

bakery life

Well, we have survived! The first two weeks of bakery life, that is.




A lot of people told me I was NUTS to try to open a bakery right before Christmas. (They might have been right... but I'm stubborn, and I do what I want. Ha.)


I'd been waiting all year to get this bakery open, so when I received our official license to do business on Monday 12/14, I scrambled to get the doors open Tuesday! Fortunately, we had pretty much moved everything in over the weekend (with the help of my WONDERFUL mom & dad).


Just a portion of the boxes we unpacked. My house is EMPTY now!

Yummy ingredients, all organized in tubs.

First of MANY MANY takeout dinners at the bakery.

He thinks he's so helpful.

Let me just say... I thought I knew what I was getting myself into. I had all these plans in place, I knew exactly how things would function! Bahahaha. I have learned SO much just in the last two weeks. That first week was such a hot mess! You wouldn't have known it if you walked in the shop, but I was pretty much in a constant state of panic. 


The very first cupcakes baked in the BEAST (our nickname for the oven). I bought it from a Cinnabon down near Columbus. First couple rounds, everything smelled like cinnamon rolls! Now it smells like cupcakes. :)

We ended up doing about TRIPLE the production I had planned for, and I just wasn't sure how to operate in such large quantities! We kept running out of butter, sugar, powdered sugar, cupcake boxes. How do you sell cupcakes with no boxes??! One of my customers put it the right way - "You've got a tiger by the tail!" We were able to keep up, but not without a mental breakdown in the Meijer parking lot at 2am one night (morning??!) I never knew it was physically possible to work a 20-hour day, but I pulled a few of them in that first week!


I've cracked just a few eggs in the last two weeks - enough to bake 7000+ cupcakes and 2000+ cookies!

After getting a bit of rest that weekend, I was finally able to turn my brain on, and figure out some systems to make bakery life a little easier and much more efficient. We've got a LONG way to go, but week #2 went much more smoothly. We baked & sold a LOT more cupcakes, and worked a lot less. Progress! 


Our seating area. In love.

I am realizing how VALUABLE my employees are, and how much I appreciate everything they do! (Especially the box folding. I am SO glad to defer the box folding to someone else at this stage of life. :-P) 

I also have to thank my sweet, sweet husband of mine, who is the best counter boy EVAH. Lucky for me, his work is just around the corner (quite literally), so he pops in quite frequently to lend a helping hand. 

What about my Jamesy?! He's been enjoying a lot of time at the bakery. He did end up traveling to the grandparents for a few days between Christmas and New Year's because our daycare isn't open here in the Bean Town and my usual babysitter is out of town. So I'm missing him just a bit.


Gourmet breakfast of 'tiny donuts' aka Cheerios. 

Just wanted to give a brief update so I could look back on this in a few years and laugh! I am LOVING every minute of this crazy life. Happy New Year!

P.S. Nice-looking photos credit to Graham Goebel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);