Skip to main content

back in the swing of things..... hahaha

I guess you could say we are sort in the swing of things... well, we are surviving! I started working a bit last week because CHRISTMAS!! How can you run a cupcake business and not be open at Christmas time?!?

Cuddling with Mom on the couch in one of his many Christmas outfits.

I filled a few small cupcake orders early last week, and James was a champ! He has been napping really well during the days. He's on a 2.5-3 hour cycle where he will eat, then have 30-40 minutes of awake time, and then down for a nap for anywhere from 1-2 hours. Then repeat. I have been able to get a LOT done during his naps. (Though sometimes all I want to do is take a nap myself. Ha.) Sometimes I even have to wake him up at the 3 hour mark to eat! Unfortunately, that never happens at night time...


Kitchen set-up while James is napping... see the monitor in the very very far left of the picture? To the left of the utensil crock.

I usually try to have him nap in his crib; hopefully that will make moving him to his crib in a few weeks a little easier? I just set up the baby monitor so I can watch him from the kitchen. Plus, I don't think he would sleep all too well downstairs when both mixers are going full blast.


Last Saturday was the big Downtown Holiday Festival here in the Bean Town. All the local downtown businesses offer fun activities for families & children. It's always a SUPER busy, but fun day. I decided to offer free cupcake decorating for kids at the cupcake counter. We even got to share the room with Santa & Mrs. Claus!



Ready for kidd-os! 
We went through almost 200 cupcakes in 2.5 hours, and had to turn people away! So sad.
So, in addition to getting all the cupcakes ready for decorating, I also planned to bake about 35 dozen to sell at the counter. That is a BIG baking day. Especially with a 2.5 week old, ha. Fortunately, I had some help from my neighbor across the street for about 5 hours. She helped me with James, and when he was sleeping, she helped me with little odds & ends for the cupcake baking. Somehow, I was able to get it all done at a reasonable hour! 

James didn't quite know what to think about the 4 huge tables of cupcakes sitting around the house. Who am I kidding, I am sure he didn't even notice.




Saturday was the big festival, and it went really well! My Business Man had his first solo baby duty for the majority of the day (8am-2pm). He's taken care of James for short trips to the store and such, but never for such a long stretch. He did a great job, and even brought James down to get his picture taken with Santa. I was totally exhausted at the end of the day, but it felt good to get back to doing something 'normal' for me, since our schedule has been so crazy lately. (As can be expected when it's ruled by a newborn.)


[Side note: My Business Man has been awesome in the daddy department. He pretty much takes over baby duty when he gets home from work each night, in addition to helping with whatever chores need to be done around the house that got neglected during the day. I don't know what I'd do without him!]


What else is new with the little nugget?


Sleep: He is still not sleeping the best at night... but I think that's to be expected for a 3-week old. Some nights he will only get up twice (those are the good nights!) and some nights it's more like 4-5 times. He doesn't really get fussy at night, he just wants to eat, so that is good. He pretty much goes back to sleep after 5-10 minutes of rocking.


Baby yawns are SO precious.
Eating: He's nursing really well! Though, there are definitely times when I wish that the dads are able to breastfeed, too. Wouldn't that be something? ;) He does take a bottle just fine, so that's good. Just takes a little bit more planning on my part.

Random Tidbits: 


He's already out of his newborn clothes. So sad... I can't believe how quick he is growing!

'Look at me, Mom! I'm wearing 3-month clothes already!' (As I sit here and bawl my eyes out...)

He had his first tubby time... and hated it! Though you wouldn't know it from how cozy he is in his hoodie towel.
'Do you have to take a picture of everything?!'


We had a fun time in the baby carrier. We had a lot to get done one afternoon, and he just wanted to be held. So we gave it a try. I will say that baking while baby-wearing is not super easy, but it is easier than baking one-handed while holding a baby with the other arm. 

I promise, he can breathe. :)
That's about it for an update... I'm sure more adventures are on their way! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);