Skip to main content

a day in the life

1:50am - James wakes up, time to eat. We are both back to bed in less than 30 minutes. Yesssss.

5:10am - James wakes up, again. Woo hoo! We made it over 3 hours. While nursing, I finish the last of my box of Scooby Snack graham cracker sticks. My Business Man makes fun of me for keeping a snack stash in the nursery, but that hunger in the middle of the night is intense!

6:30am - James starts to stir... how can he be up again already? I'm hoping he'll go back to sleep. And he does. Unfortunately I don't... so I get up and get a shower while I can.

7:15am - James is still sleeping so I start on my cupcake list for the day. This week is a little out of control with cupcake orders... (aka I just need to learn to say 'no'. Ha.) I'm a little nervous today, because one of my big orders is picking up at 1pm, and I'm nervous I won't be able to meet the deadline! My Business Man makes me a cup of coffee while I get to work. Love my coffee. And love my Business Man.

8:10am - My Business Man goes to wake James up before he leaves for work. They play a little, then he passes him off to me for a feeding.

8:30am - I change his diaper and get him dressed for the day. How cute are baby hoodies??! At some point in here, I manage to scarf down a Clif bar for breakfast. It's true, what they say - you do forget to eat sometimes.



9am - James chills in the bouncy seat in the kitchen while I get back to work. I manage to finish baking all the cupcakes for the first order. He falls asleep pretty quickly, so I swaddle him and set him in his crib for a nap.




9:45am - He's sound asleep, so it's time to enter FROSTING MODE!




10:45am - I finish up the first order of cupcakes (whew! and in plenty of time), and James is still asleep, so I move onto round #2.




11:30am - He's still sleeping (!) but I wake him up to eat. It's been almost 3.5 hours and I'm afraid if he goes too long between feedings during the day, he will be waking up at shorter intervals during the night.




12pm - I set him back in the bouncy seat so I can hopefully finish frosting round #2 of cupcakes. He's not having it and gets really fussy, so I pick him up, and we play a little. Eventually I rock him back to sleep and he goes back into his crib for another nap. (Gosh, I wish I could nap as much as a baby.)

12:30pm - I finish all the cupcakes. In total, I think it was 319 for the day? 




12:45pm - I take a few minutes to make myself lunch. My goal for this week is to eat a salad a day - either as a main entree for lunch, or as a side with dinner. (My veggies have definitely been lacking over the last few weeks, and I feel so much better when I eat lots of fruits & veggies!) During lunch, I respond to a few cupcake-related emails and also read BuzzFeed articles. Gotta have some mindless entertainment.




1pm - My cupcake pick-up arrives; we exchange the goods. Ha. 




1:15pm - I need to go to Sam's Club this afternoon, so I'll be taking James to my friend Lindsey's for awhile. I would rather leave now than wait til after his next feeding, so I pump a bottle so he'll have something to eat while he's there. Of course, right as I finish pumping, he wakes up in hungry mode. Sorry, babe, you'll just have to wait til you get to Lindsey's for your bottle. Nothing left in the tank. (Quite literally, haha.)

1:30pm - We head to Lindsey's, and then I head to Sam's. It is so much easier to do the Sam's run now that I'm not obnoxiously pregnant. Might I say, I almost enjoy lifting the heavy boxes?! I also stop downtown at the cupcake counter to pick up some cupcake boxes, because I am all out at home.

3pm - I make it back to Lindsey's and we hang out for a bit. James takes a nap in my arms. Awww. He & Lucie 'play' a little. Aka, Lucie showers him with sweet kisses.




4pm - James wakes up and is quite fussy, so we head home. He seems to have fallen asleep in his carseat, so I bring him in the house and start hauling in the Sam's load. Of course, he wakes up right as I bring in the last box.

4:15pm - He's hungry again! Babies sure do eat a lot. ;)

4:45pm - We need to fold a bajillion cupcake boxes, so I enlist James' help. We get about 5 done before he's had enough, so we play instead. Aka I hold him, we look at the Christmas tree lights, and I tell him how cute he is. 




5:30pm - He is down for another nappy, so I take advantage and head down to the treadmill in the basement for a little sweat session. I had my first run last Saturday (outside!) and manage to jog a slow 5km while watching Gilmore Girls while keeping my eye on James with the video monitor. Gosh, it feels so good to run again! And there is no back pain or SI joint pain to be seen. Just general muscle soreness from being out of shape.




6:15pm - Daddy's home! Since James is still out, he and I quickly knock out the rest of the box folding. 




7pm - Somehow, James is still sleeping. This is very unusual for nighttime... usually he's quite fussy/needy in the evening. We'll take it! We eat a gourmet dinner of frozen pizza and veggies & hummus.

7:30pm - James is still sleeping, so my Business Man goes upstairs to gently awake the royal highness. After some cuddles and playtime, he's finally awake and ready to eat.




8pm - James eats again, and then we have mommy-son cuddles on the couch. I wish I could bottle his new baby smell. Meanwhile, my Business Man is cleaning up the dinner mess and taking out all the trash for trash day.




8:45pm - James goes upstairs with Daddy to get changed and all ready for bed. I join them and we read a bedtime story. My Business Man rocks him to sleep, so I head back downstairs to get some more stuff done. (I absolutely NEED to start wrapping Christmas gifts!)

9pm - Who am I kidding? I am ZONKED. I crash on the couch to veg and write this post. Gift wrapping can wait until tomorrow. 

9:15pm - My Business Man joins me downstairs and we watch James in the baby monitor. He is WIDE awake, and staring at us. After a few minutes, he puts himself to sleep. 

And that's pretty much the end of our day... Daddy will give him a bottle around 10:30-11pm and we will all go to sleep and hope for another night with only 2 wake-ups.

Comments

Unknown said…
I LOVE this incite into your day. And I did the exact same thing about gift wrapping. "I'll get to it tomorrow" Yeah right.
Alissa said…
Snort - I have yet to buy Christmas presents, much less think about wrapping:) LOVE all the pictures!
Unknown said…
Since I knew you gave birth I've been checking your blog on my phone for updates and I hadn't seen a thing! I was tempted many times to write to you and ask what was up, but instead I patiently waited for 2 months for us to get internet and me to actually look at a computer where I found you had posted several times and I realized I was a nincombpoop. Love hearing about your baby adventures! Drew and I are already talking about number two! Baby stories always make me want to be pregnant again! Glad to hear you're all doing well!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);