Skip to main content

38 weeks + post-baby plans

I figured I better hurry up and write this week's blog post, considering I'll be 39 weeks (full term) tomorrow! To say I am excited about that would be an understatement. He could come any day now... or he could camp out in my uterus for another 2.5 weeks. Lovely.


Now that he's seriously almost here, I've started to think about post-baby plans. One of the challenges of running your own business or being self-employed - how does maternity leave work? How much time do I want to take off? Not only does time off mean no income, but it also means lack of growth with the business. 

In the baking biz, the time of year definitely makes a difference... November and December sales are quite different than the months of January or July. (Aka Nov/Dec = super busy... January not so much.)

So, as you can see Poppyseed has timed his arrival pretty much perfectly. ;) 

When the business is in full swing, I work about probably 45-50 hours a week spread out over 6 days. Crazy holidays = even more. (Hello 15-hour baking days.) I know that will be unrealistic with an infant. If everything goes well with the delivery, and Poppyseed is healthy, and I have a pretty quick recovery, I am hoping to get back into the kitchen within 3-4 weeks of giving birth. (Lots of "if's" there... am I crazy?!)

Insert random picture of milk - Poppyseed's due date!
Right now, the cupcake counter is open Wednesdays & Saturdays. I am hoping to have it back open by the first or second weekend of December, but Saturdays only... which would mean only 2-3 days of work each week, depending on how many orders I receive. (Or take. I gotta remind myself, I can turn orders down! People will survive.) I hope to be able to go full steam ahead with Christmas orders, but then scale back down and take a few more weeks off in January. (When it is generally slow anyway.) Then back to the usual volume in February.

I will have some help a few days a week with childcare in the home, so I think my plan is pretty realistic. Remind me that when I have a fussy baby and am elbow-deep in buttercream. It'll be an adventure!

Of course, this is all assuming we have a safe & healthy delivery, and I recovery from childbirth pretty quickly. That is our prayer and desire (duh!), but if somehow we have a different outcome, my baby and family definitely come first. If I have to close down Sara's Sweets for several weeks or months, that's ok... the health and care of my child is way more important!

38 Weeks - The Facts

Poppyseed's size: A baby. It is still surreal to believe there is a full-sized baby currently residing inside my body.

Sleep: Not good. Just preparing me for mommyhood, right?!

Movement: Lots of squirms and jabs. It feels like he can't really move around a whole at this point... probably because there's not a whole lot of room left in there!

Running/Workouts: Mostly just walks on the treadmill. It's been nasty outside, and I've discovered Gilmore Girls on Netflix. One day I walked 5.5 miles, ha. (Did nothing to bring on labor.)

Cravings: Cheese, especially cream cheese! This week, I worked ahead on a bunch of recipes for the Chief Supermarket Market Blog, and one of them was a Bagel & Cream Cheese French Toast Bake. OMG. I could not get over it. Everything bagels + cream cheese chunks + cheddar cheese = best combo ever. We also made Buffalo Chicken flatbreads with a spicy cream cheese sauce, so good!


How could a pan of everything bagel chunks, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese NOT be good?! This was before being topped with an egg custard and baked for an hour.

What I am missing: Feeling like my normal self, and being able to move without it being a huge ordeal. I know that's still a far way off, but evicting the child will have to give me a little relief, right?!

Looking forward to: Meeting our little guy, of course. His due date is just 8 days away now. Though I'm making myself think Thanksgiving... because he seems quite cozy in there. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);