Skip to main content

21 weeks + 4th of July shenanigans

Lots of happenings this past week... 4th of July, visit from my parents, trip up to Michigan to spend time with my Business Man's fam. Whew! Poppyseed enjoyed it all - as evidenced by lots of movement!


July 4 was a fun day... started off with the annual Freedom 5km here in the Bean Town. My mom, dad, & Maggie came to visit so my mom did the race, too. (It's the best race deal around - $12.50, chip-timed, and includes a t-shirt. And this year we also got a coupon for a FREE order of wings from BWW's.)

Do you know how hard it is to get a dog to look at the camera?

This was my first 5km while pregnant, and I was excited to enjoy a pressure-free race. I had the okay from my doctor to run comfortably fast, as long as I could talk! So I had a lot of fun encouraging others along the way and talking to some friends spectating. 

I knew I'd be far from last year's finish time of 18:43, and expected to finish around 22 or 23. However, I really surprised myself with a 20:36! Super even splits, too. (6:38, 6:41, 6:41.) The best part was probably passing lots of men in the last mile, and them realizing I had a fetus along for the ride... ;)

I even managed to hold onto my 2nd place overall title from the last 3 years. (A girl from Michigan always wins in 17:xx which is crazy fast.) As usual, my Business Man let me display my trophy on our fireplace mantle... the perfect decor for our 4th of July party, haha.


We had a bunch of people over for the 4th since our house is right near the park, where all of the Bean Town congregates to view the fireworks. It was a lot of fun, but I stayed up past 12:30am and was absolutely zonked the next day! I felt like I got run over by a truck. It took me the full day to recover, lol.

Mom & I got festive with some patriotic tattoos.
Because who doesn't want to see an entire table full of Bomb Pop cupcakes?

Saturday afternoon, we headed up to Michigan where my Business Man's family was vacationing for the week. We stayed just two nights, and it was so good to spend some quality time with his parents and brothers and sisters. (It's hard to get everyone together at the same time!)

My Business Man rockin' the bike helmet.
We enjoyed a fun bike ride all together on Sunday morning on the Kal-Haven Trail. Well, I ran, and Ben and his two younger sisters (SB & Emma) accompanied me on bike. I had wanted to run 8 miles total (4 out and 4 back), but Emma wanted to do 10 total. Twist my arm. So I surprisingly got in a 10-miler this weekend, was not expecting that at all.

The fam, minus Nathan who was riding the ENTIRE Kal-Haven Trail, something like 81 miles. Yikes.
We also enjoyed dinner at my absolute favorite restaurant in the whole wide world - Salt of the Earth. We got a bunch of different dishes, but my favorite was the Confit Chicken Wings. They were topped with a raspberry ghost pepper sorbetto, which was a creamy raspberry sorbet with a bunch of spice! Such a unique combination. I would never think to serve chicken wings with sorbet. Probably not something I'll try to re-create at home.

SO GOOD!
Now we are back in the Bean Town and ready to start another [4-day] week... getting so spoiled. Our next appointment is TOMORROW, where we have the anatomy scan and hopefully found out whether Poppyseed is a BOY or a GIRL! Any guesses??!?!?!


21 Weeks - The Facts

Poppyseed's size: the length of a carrot! [Funny story: My 8-year-old sister-in-law, who we've nicknamed 'Auntie Em', asked me if it was the size of a baby carrot or regular carrot... which is definitely a legit question! Kids are so cute.]

Sleep: Still hit and miss. I'm over it, haha.

Movement: Feeling a lot more! It is so much fun! My Business Man was even able to feel a little something something this weekend.

Running: 37 miles with a 10-mile long run. Including a speedy 5km. This next week will definitely be a cut-back week, lol.


Cravings: My mom's baked beans. (Which I luckily got her to make for July 4.) And mac & cheese. (Which I made a pan of tonight. Yum.)
Looking forward to: Our anatomy scan tomorrow! I'm a little nervous, but can't wait!

Comments

Unknown said…
Just wait until you're trying to get Poppyseed to look at the camera! She (or maybe he, but my guess is girl. Okay, maybe more like hope, but really as long as Poppyseed is healthy!) will make Maggie look like a pro ;-)
Anonymous said…
ha ha... he LET you put the trophy on your mantle?
Sara said…
@Anonymous - yes... haha. It's more of an inside joke. These trophies are hideous (in our opinion) so it's our tacky decoration for the 4th of July party. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);