Skip to main content

17 weeks + goooood eats

Another week has passed! Apparently Poppyseed is now the weight of a turnip. Who even eats turnips? I have no idea what a turnip even looks like, let alone how much it weighs. And honestly, what's with the constant comparison to fruit & veggies? I have to admit, while I've been eating a good amount of fruits & veggies, that's not what I've been craving. ;) 



I stumbled upon this Junk Food Baby Size Chart, which seems to be much more accurate in helping me understand how big the baby is. This week, looks like Poppyseed is almost the size of a can of pop. (Make that a caffeine-free Diet Mountain Dew to be exact. No worries, gone are the days when I would have 3-4 cans over the course of the afternoon. Now it's maybe one every other day.)



The theme of this week has been FOOD! Now that business has slowed down a bit, I've actually had motivation to cook fun meals. We ate really well last week. (Which means this week will probably be a combination of frozen pizza and boxed mac & cheese.) 

My favorite was definitely the Mango Mahi Mahi Tacos... I will probably be posting this recipe to the Chief Market Blog sometime next month. The best part about it was the cilantro-lime crema, aka flavored sour cream. I might have just scooped it up with my tortilla chips. Who needs salsa? 



Another fabulous meal was this 20-Minute Chicken Florentine Pasta. Super quick and tasty, it was surprisingly light for a summer-time pasta dish.



I also went on a homemade ice cream bender. Our church is hosting an ice cream social later this month, where we've been challenged to bring our best homemade ice cream to share. Of course, that means I have to go crazy and find the best flavor(s) to bring. 

This one was really tasty, but I'm not sure that it would go over too well with all the kids in the church crowd.

I received an ice cream cookbook for my birthday over a year ago that I hadn't yet touched... so I tried out three recipes. All in one day, no big deal. Salted Caramel, Peanut Butter Fudge Ripple, and Strawberry Balsamic. All were absolutely delicious, but my favorite was surprisingly the Strawberry Balsamic. It was so refreshing! I still have a few other flavors bookmarked to try, but we need to work through these flavors first... a girl only has so much freezer room!

PB-Fudge Ripple... this was really tasty. And ice cream cones are much harder to scoop than they appear.

And of course, my pizza of the week! I tried something new this week - BLT Pizza. I like BLT's, I like pizza, why not combine them? I searched for a recipe online, but a lot of them used mayonnaise on the crust (blecchh!) I am not a big mayonnaise fan unless it's in chicken salad or tuna salad. So I improvised and came up with my own version, and we were pretty impressed! I hope to post the recipe sometime this week.
You can't go wrong with bacon + cheese + carbs. This would have been lovely with some
diced avocado thrown on top, too.

OH! And the biggest excitement was probably our little adventure to Columbus to get a new (to us) car! We've been talking about upgrading my Buick Regal to something more cupcake friendly since January... and we finally did it. Introducing my Nissan Murano... aka the cupcake caddy! Though I am extremely happy to have a new vehicle, I was not too happy with the 3-hour car buying process. We got there at 5pm and didn't leave until after 8pm! Didn't they know that this preggo needed to get some dinner?


I have only used it to haul cupcakes downtown, but this baby is SO nice. Rather than wedging cupcake boxes every which way in every nook & cranny in the car, I'm able to just stack the boxes all nice & flat in the back. You can easily fit 40-48 dozen cupcakes back there! It makes it so much easier to load & unload without worrying about cupcakes tipping everywhere.

17 Weeks - The Facts

Poppyseed's size: Turnip!

Sleep: Hit or miss... mostly due to poor eating choices and eating dinner too late (especially the night of the car-buying. Note to self: Red Robin at 8:30pm with seconds on bottomless fries is NOT a good idea.)

Movement: Not feeling anything yet, but I had a dream I could feel Poppyseed squirming around. I even woke up my Business Man to tell him about it, haha.

Running: No long run this week, but still got in 34 miles. I had a really funny run on Sunday... the first two miles felt like death. I stopped to stretch, and out of nowhere ran the last 3 in 8:04, 7:40, and 7:22. I haven't seen a pace below 7:30 in a good 3 months!

Cravings: Nothing in particular, but I'm still loving the Cheddar & Sour Cream Ruffles. I try not to start eating them, because once I start, I can't stop.

Looking forward to: Finding some maternity  jeans this week! One of my friends & I have plans to go down to Cincinnati to do some shopping and I'm hoping to find some jeans. I don't know how many meltdowns I've had because I have 'nothing to wear'. (I really do, just nothing I want to wear. Why can't I just live in yoga pants??!) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);