Skip to main content

Running Update

I haven't talked running much on the blog lately... heck I haven't talked much on the blog lately at all. The last big running thing I did was the Columbus Marathon back in October. I've taken the last several months very easy running-wise. Running what I want, when I want. If I don't feel like it, I don't worry about it. I've still been in the 30+ miles a week range, which might seem like a lot. (But back in the spring when I was training for Boston, I was putting in 55-60. So it's really been cut in half.)

It's really kind of funny - I am way less busy now than I was last spring. (When I was teaching + baking 80+ hours a week.) I had no problem getting motivated to run back then. I was up before 5:30am everyday of the week! Now that I'm working a much more normal amount (probably 35-45 hours, depending on the week), it's so much harder to get the runs in! I don't know if I've just come to appreciate sleep, or if it's being on my feet more all day long, but sometimes I just cannot even fathom going for a run. I even started doing some other forms of exercise! (Gasp.)

I started with Jillian Michaels. I convinced myself to do the 30 Day Shred. I lasted until about day 22, and then it was Thanksgiving and I fell off the bandwagon and ate lots of pie instead. Since then, I've just tried to do some sort of strength workout or video 3 times a week. (Which usually ends up being once a week. But that's better than nothing!)

A couple weeks ago, I decided that I'd had enough of the lackadaisical approach to running. I decided to introduce some speed again, and more consistent mileage. I'm happy to say that I have officially completed two tempo runs, and my mileage has been in the 40's these last couple weeks! Haha. My goal is to do some sort of speed workout each week. I've been trying to get a 'long run' of 10 miles or so every other week, too. 


My first day back to speedwork. 3-mile tempo on a sunny day. 

I will admit, it's been really hard to get motivated this winter to train. I used to think 25*F was cold. That would seem like a balmy spring day right now. The coldest I've gone out in was -6*F (seriously!) My running buds & I met up that morning, only because there was absolutely ZERO wind! And it wasn't really too bad.

However, a few days later, it was 7*F so we met up again, figuring if it's above zero, it's gotta be ok. Well, it happened to start snowing and blowing like crazy in the middle of that run. It was real pleasant. (The plan was to run 8-10... I think we ended up with 4.5. Ha.)


I had to take a selfie of the icicles that formed on my eyelashes & eyebrows.

So what does running look like for the spring? I have no idea. I am signed up to run the Boston Marathon again, but I don't know if I have the energy/commitment to train for 26.2 right now. Also, it falls on the Monday after Easter... so not sure if I really want to travel then. That would also probably mean closing my cupcake counter the Saturday before, which would be a pretty great day for business right before Easter. Decisions, decisions! I told myself I must decide by Valentine's Day. That'd still give me about 8 weeks to get some long runs in if I decide to go for it.

I've also thought about finding a half this spring to run... but I know I won't come anywhere close to my PR (1:27) so part of me does not even want to attempt. (I know, I know... how ridiculous!)


Or... maybe I'll just devote the spring to competitive cupcake eating... bwa ha ha...

Any thoughts on what I should do running-wise this spring? Please share!

Comments

Jen said…
Run Toledo. It's 4/27. Me & several friends are running. They have a half and a full.
Sara said…
@Jen - I would but we will be in Hawaii from April 24-May 3... I know, rough life! ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);