Skip to main content

Photo Dump

After a busy, busy holiday season, I've decided I'd like to try to get back into blogging a little more regularly. I really miss having a place to write out my thoughts, musings, and whatever's on my mind. I also really enjoy being able to look back on different times of my life... and crazy shenanigans that have occurred.

So, first post back - just a glimpse at the last month or so. 2013 was a great year, and we have so much to be thankful for.

At the beginning of December, Sara's Sweets took part in the Downtown Lima Holiday Fest. We offered cupcake decorating for kids, and it was a huge success! About 250 kids came through, wowza. It was a crazy day, but lots of fun.



The holiday season was NUTS (in a good way!) for Sara's Sweets. I baked closed to 5000 cupcakes in the month of December alone. It doesn't seem like that many, but when I remember that I do all my baking out of my home kitchen with my one oven, it seems like a ton.

Before we knew it, we were heading back to IL to spend Christmas with our families. We celebrated in the best way - with cupcakes for all! (Just kidding, I actually didn't bring any cupcakes home with me because I completely sold out on Christmas Eve. I was greeted by disappointed family members.)

It's not really a cupcake. It's a dog toy. Isn't she so cute?

We celebrated Christmas with both our families and it was really great to see everyone and catch up. 

At my Business Man's parents' house on Christmas. I'm in love with the shirt I am wearing here... it says "This is how I roll" with a rolling pin on it. From my favorite blog - Annie's Eats.

And then... my best friend got married! We lucked out that her hometown is 50 miles from my parents', so we didn't have to travel too far. I was in charge of cupcakes for the big day (surprise, surprise), and thanks to a lot of help from my mom we got them to the wedding safely.



Talen was a gorgeous bride, and the day went off without a hitch. The weather even cooperated and we were able to get some pictures taken outside. (It was just a tad chilly. Haha.)


The Fab 4 - running together since 2006.

Then we hightailed it back to the Bean Town and rang in 2014 with homemade pizza and cupcakes. I love this new pizza cutter that I got for Christmas... it's so quick and easy to use! (Though it's very sharp, which I learned the hard way.)




And what does 2014 have in store for us? Who knows?! As for right now, I am enjoying catching up on some much needed rest after a super busy Oct-Nov-Dec. I've got a bridal show at the end of January, and then the craziness will pick back up as the spring rolls around! 

Comments

Holy cow...5000 cupcakes! That's awesome! Looks like you had a great month of December! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);