Skip to main content

brain dump [july 2015]


It's been a hot minute since I've blogged... life's just a bit chaotic. But life is always chaotic, no? I've coem to learn that in my 27 fine years here on this Earth. I'm learning to embrace the chaos.

I'll try to somewhat break this post up into categories, to at least help me organize myself.


New Orleans: My Business Man & I went to New Orleans for a work conference at the beginning of June. (To clarify, it was a work conference for my Business Man. Sadly there are no giant cupcake conferences. That I've discovered. Yet.) 

Did you catch that?! We went WITHOUT the James-ter! We LEFT HIM! OVERNIGHT! And he survived. (We did, too.) It was actually so strange to be without our little nugget. And after that first night of sleeping 8 glorious hours, it was pretty fantastic. ;) We had a fun little getaway, but definitely missed our little guy.

Highlights of the trip included eating ALL THE FOOD, seeing a random movie in the middle of the day (in a theater!), morning runs through the Garden District, and a hands-on cooking class at the New Orleans School of Cooking.

We even have the aprons to prove it!
One of the best meals - fresh-pressed muffulettas at the market.
This meal was also probably the cheapest, at just $8.
Visitors: Out of the last 4 weeks, we've had visitors here about 3 of them. Lots of love for Jamesy-boy!

My mom & dad came to visit and we took James to the pool for the first time. He loves the water! He loves to lay back & relax, or lean forward and try to kick himself around. He doesn't really get anywhere though.

Water baby!
We celebrated an early birthday for my dad since we wouldn't get to see him on his actual birthday (July 10.) I made him a homemade angel food cake, and not to toot my own horn, but it was pretty fab.

Just a few candles shy of the 54 that should have been on the cake...

My friend Kristi and her two sweet kidd-os (Cora & Casey) came to visit for a night. It was SO good to catch up! She lives in a remote village in Alaska, so we don't get to see each other often. We got to go for a run, make homemade pizza, and just spend some QT together. We are actually going to meet up in San Diego next month for a girls' trip! Woah!

And somehow this is the only picture we got! Ahhhh. Chaos, I tell you.
Finally, my Business Man's family came to visit for a week! James' uncle Zack has been teaching in Laos for the entire past academic year and just came home in June. So they had never met before! James loved his uncle Zack time. Seriously, James loved to sit and cuddle with Zack for long periods of time. (He never cuddles with me!)


Learning how to watch Netflix on the iPad. Bahaha.
Michigan: Before my in-laws came to visit, we met them up north for a weekend in Michigan. Of course, in our favorite area! We stayed in Saugatuck at a recently remodeled retro motel - the Starlite Resort. It was cute, clean, and had a fun pool! All our requirements were met. :)

First overnight at a hotel for James... "This bed is all for ME??!"

They had a few hammocks, too. We thought it'd be great to try to get a cute pic of James on the hammock.... ummm yea.

"Sit here on the hammock," they said, "it'll be fun!" LIES!

Much better in Mom's arms.

First family selfie!
My Business Man & I even escaped for a date night to our favorite restaurant - Salt of the Earth. And devoured the toasted s'mores dessert. Omg, so good. Take me back.

Mmm, that salted caramel sauce. When will they invent tast-o-vision for the computer screen?!


Cupcakes: The business is booming, which is great. I've got lots of exciting things on the horizon, but not really able to say anything yet. God is good. :)

Fun birthday cake!

Gorgeous wedding set-up.

Whimsical smash cake.

Other random pictures:




I've been obsessively buying all the new varieties of Oreos
that now exist, so thought this was fitting.

James LOVE yogurt!

And he hates shopping at Wal-mart. You and me both, buddy.

Happy boy sitting on his couch!

With that, I'm off to pack for another adventure! We are headed to Door County, WI for a fun-filled week with my parents. Bring on all the trail runs, cherry salsa, and ICE CREAM!



Comments

Adeel said…
Just a great and informative post. I really liked it. Thanks for posting here with us. Keep updating more.

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);