Skip to main content

life lately [January 2015]

So, this whole blogging thing has been pretty non-existent since the beginning of December. I guess that's what life with a newborn and getting back into a regular routine does to ya! (BTW... is he still considered a newborn? When do they *officially* graduate from newborn to just a regular baby?!)

1 month vs. 2 months

We kept the first week of January pretty low key... I was completely ZONKED after the holiday season so it was really nice to take a break. (I think I went a total of 8 days without baking a single cupcake. Might be a record!) I started the business back up January 10 with full-time hours and availability, and man it has been busy! Definitely a good thing.

We've got a pretty good routine going with James and the cupcakes. Mondays are usually my errand days... so he gets to tag along. Meijer, bank, GFS, Hobby Lobby. I haven't quite mastered the art of doing a Sam's Club run with James in tow, so usually I do that on Sundays or when my Business Man gets home from work.

Somebody's sleeping on the job!

On Tuesdays, my neighbor across the street comes over to help me with James while I bake. She has also become the master cupcake box-folder and cupcake garnisher. She rocks!


On Wednesdays, James goes to my friend Lindsey's house while I work the cupcake counter from 3-6pm... Daddy usually picks him up on his way home a little after 5pm. I'd like to say they have a gourmet dinner waiting for me when I get home at 6:15pm, but that might be stretching it a bit. ;)

James with his girlfriend... he's not quite sure what to think.
Thursdays are prep days for the weekend... so James & I hang out all day, and I get as much stuff done as I can while he naps. (Box folding, buckeye rolling, filling making, cookie dough prep, etc...) Though sometimes he only wants to nap in my arms, so I don't get a whole lot done til my Business Man gets home.

How can you be upset with this?!?
Fridays have been insane lately. They are usually my big baking day, and I've been working for 12-14 hours depending on the orders for the weekend. I'm usually up working by 6am, and my Business Man takes James to Lindsey's, and then I usually go get him around 4pm and then finish up the baking at home. 

What are you trying to feed me, Mom? I don't think that's milk!
He doesn't quite know what to think about the cupcakes yet. I tried giving him a mini cupcake for his 2-month birthday, but he was a little hesitant. (Totally KIDDING! I ate that cupcake instead. Yes, I still eat the cupcakes... sometimes they're just irresistible!)

James had his 2-month well visit at the doctor last week. He is now 12 lbs 10 oz, and 23 inches long! He's my little chunk. He did well for the most part, though he didn't love the shots. (But who does?!) Funny story... the nurse came into the room to tell us about the shots, and James was happily bouncing on my shoulder. She said, "Let me tell you about his immunizations...." and as soon as she said that word, he erupted into a screaming fit! It was so funny. Of course, it wasn't as funny when he actually got the shots and was screaming, but we handled it just fine. Only a few tears.

Getting weighed!

All smiles before the S-word!!

And I'll leave you with a sweet pic of my two favorite guys... because polar bear butts are the cutest. :)




Comments

Liz said…
I've been missing your posts! Keep the updates coming. "He's my little chunk".. bahaha:)

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);