Skip to main content

The glamorous life of a cupcake baker

So, I've got a pretty sweet gig. Working for myself, I get to set my hours... and I only have a couple days a week that are really jam-packed. (Unless it's close to a holiday, then it's pretty much 'work every moment I am awake'.)

The weekly schedule is usually something like this:

  • Monday - grocery store, bank, clean house/kitchen, test new recipes, chill out a little
  • Tuesday - bake in preparation for cupcake counter on Wed
  • Wednesday - Sam's Club, finish up baking/prep work from Tues, sell cupcakes at counter from 3-6pm
  • Thursday - prepwork for weekend, grocery store (again), work on business plan/emails/marketing/etc
  • Friday - BAKE BAKE BAKE! This is my busiest baking day of the week.
  • Saturday - sell cupcakes at counter from 11am-3pm
  • Sunday - rest, hang out with my Business Man
  • Everyday - fill orders for pick-up at our house (pretty much a daily thing), update Facebook page, plan ahead for future holidays/specials
So Mondays are a pretty chill day, usually. I run a bunch of errands and then test recipes. I don't really love the errand-running. Especially in this cold weather. And because I usually don't get everything I need and have to run back to the grocery store every other day of the week. And unloading the groceries is never fun. 

But I do love the recipe testing. That's the best part!

We are gearing up for Valentine's Day so I've got lots of cupcake ideas on the brain - Red Hot Cinnamon, Chocolate-Covered Strawberry, Cherry Cordial, Raspberry Cheesecake, Conversation Heart (not so sure about that one yet...) and the list goes on!

I really wanted to try the Red Hot Cinnamon today, but despite my obsessive list making, I forgot to buy the cinnamon extract. (Though I did manage to remember to pick up a few bags of peanut butter M&M's... hmmm...) So I tested out the Chocolate-Covered Strawberry cupcake instead. And a new brownie recipe.

Strawberry cupcake batter! You bet I licked those beaters. 

Both required a chocolate ganache, which I make all the time. No testing necessary... bring cream to a simmer, pour it over some semisweet chips (a ratio of 4oz cream:5oz chocolate). Let it sit for 5 minutes before stirring until smooth and then adding a few glugs of corn syrup! Then it just has to cool down to the right consistency.

I thought I'd speed up the process today by storing the ganache in the fridge and then stirring every 5-10 minutes. I do this all the time. Well somehow today, I placed it in the fridge, and the fridge monster must have messed with it or something. Because when I opened the door, it exploded everywhere! (Or, ya know... it just fell from the shelf.)

I had to laugh. The funny thing is - I was putting groceries away earlier this morning and debated cleaning out the fridge because it was looking pretty gnarly. But I put it off. Glad I did, because I ended up cleaning it anyway!


But of course, it got into every nook & cranny of the door, the bottom of the fridge, the drawer to the freezer, and the seal to the freezer. And all over several of our condiments. (Anybody in the mood for chocolate-ranch?) Lovely. And all over the floor and shiny white cabinets. It's moments like these when I wish I had a personal assistant. Or housecleaner. Or just my mom within a 30 minute drive. (She is the best dishwasher/cleaner-upper ever!)

So after an hour of clean-up, it was back to normal and I could resume my day. Haha. So much fun. The end result was totally worth it though! Chocolate-Covered Strawberry - strawberry cupcake (with fresh strawberries!) filled and frosted with chocolate ganache, and topped with a chocolate-covered strawberry. Yum.



Hopefully tomorrow will be a little more glamorous. Or at least less messy. ;)

Comments

ShyneeThings said…
I challenge you with coming up with some sort of LIGHT and FLUFFY non crumbly gluten free cupcake recipe to share (and non-cream-cheese based frosting....)! You could seriously make my year... :)
Kristi Kay said…
WOW! So glad you were able to get that all taken care of! Thank you State Farm!!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);