Skip to main content

The Wild, Wild West

July was a crazy busy month. Two weddings, a 4th of July party, a vacation to Charleston, SC, and Calabash, NC, a 5k down in Columbus... and a short little trip to Vail, Colorado. (Currently sitting in the Denver airport waiting for our flight home.) What would I do if I had a job where I had to work in the summer?!


I'll start with our Colorado trip, since it's the freshest in my mind. Each year, my Business Man has the opportunity to win a vacation with his company, and this year it happened to be an escape to the beautiful mountains of Vail. 


We flew out Sunday morning, and arrived in Vail just in time for some exploring. Our resort was located about 2 miles from town. There is an awesome little trail that connects all the resorts & shopping/dining areas, so we walked that a lot into town.


View from one of my runs


Monday morning, we decided to be all athletic and take a hike up the mountain. It was only 3.2 miles, and labeled as "intermediate", so we thought we would breeze through it. Hmmmph. (And, we didn't want to pay the $25 fee to ride up the gondola instead. $25! For a 10-minute gondola ride up the mountain. Insane. Pretty sure I would be disgusted with the price to go skiing in Vail.)


just the start of the ginormous mountain
The hike was fun, but a lot harder than I expected. It felt like we climbed basically straight uphill. But the views more than made up for it. Wowza, it was so peaceful up there.


ready to hike!

Before we were even done hiking up, we (or at least I) had already begun to dread the hike back down. Seriously, I was so scared that I would fall and be sent rolling down the ravine, never to bake a cupcake again. Luckily, once we reached the top, we discovered that it was FREE to ride the gondola back down! Such a sweet reward for making the hike up.


view from the gondola ride down


my Business Man's mad Instagram skillz


That night, we had a tasty pizza dinner at Blue Moose Pizza. Salad, BBQ chicken pizza, and fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies. What more could a girl ask for?






Tuesday, we drove over to Glenwood Springs to take a dip in the hot springs pool. It's a huge pool that is filled with water from the Yampah spring, full of 15 types of minerals that are good for you. (Or so we think.) The water comes from the spring at a temperature of 122*F, and they have to reduce the temperature down to 90*F before it goes in the pool.


I could get used to this view.


It was seriously the biggest pool I've ever seen. We spent the afternoon lounging & swimming, because the water was so warm. The sun was out in full force which made the day that much better.


We explored the cute little town of Glenwood Springs before eating dinner at The Pullman. This was easily my favorite meal of the trip. And it wasn't outrageously priced like most of the restaurants in Vail.






So many choices, and what did I go with? The burger. (I know, come on.) But it was the best burger of my life. Grass-fed beef, with caramelized onions & white cheddar, all on an over-sized homemade English muffin. Seriously, so good.


didn't even need ketchup!


My Business Man had the braised pork shoulder with smoked mozzarella grits. It was gone before I could even ask for a taste! (He has since requested that I learn how to make grits... hmmm, might need to consult my girl Paula Deen.)


We finished up the night eating a pint of ice cream from the market at the resort and watching the Olympics in bed. Perfect in my opinion.


Now we're back in good ole' Ohio and plan to stay put for the month of August. Ugggh... how can it be August already?! School starts in 20 days...

Comments

aevansb said…
Looks like you guys had fun! Great pics.
I totally drove through Bean Town on my way home from Chicago to Columbus! I thought of you but then realized that I didn't have any of your contact info. You're always welcome to stay at my house if you come to Columbus races.

PS. I LOOOOOOVE being back in Ohio! :)
Anonymous said…
Wow! It does look like you have had a busy (but super fun) month! I have never been to Vail in the summer, we always go to ski. I will definitely have to go...it looks like some awesome hiking!

Popular posts from this blog

Hot Off the Press... [Chicken Bacon Bleu Panini]

So I totally forgot to post a panini recipe last Thursday... whoops. I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath and were very  disappointed. Well, never fear, because I've got a fabulous panini recipe tonight! Tangy bleu cheese and salty bacon come together to form a delectable sandwich. It comes from the panini cookbook I received for Christmas, 200 Best Panini Recipes  (thanks Mom!) . The  Chicken Bacon Bleu panini :   grilled chicken, crisp bacon, and bleu cheese on sourdough with a spread of barbecue sauce and sliced red onion. I had never thought of putting bleu cheese on a panini before I saw this recipe. I feared there wouldn't be enough ooey gooey cheese! But bleu cheese actually melts pretty nicely. It's no Velveeta, but it added a great tang to the sandwich.  First, spread the bottom piece of bread with a bit of barbecue sauce, and top with some grilled chicken. I actually used my panini press to grill my chicken for the first time, and it wa

The Arrival of Something New...

Woo hoo for the last Friday of the school year! And only one more day of school next week. (And then a couple teacher workshops...) Another reason to be excited? Our fridge came today!! Isn't she a beauty? It is so nice to have a fridge again. You don't realize how much you miss a full-size refrigerator until you go a couple weeks without it. A bit bare... but that can be solved easily. Bottom-drawer freezer, containing the essentials: moose tracks & Diet Dew trying to get cold asap. Anyways, I'm just popping in to share my beautiful new appliance. The baking monster has taken over, and I'm in the midst of making 150 cupcakes for a graduation party tomorrow.  First big baking project in the new kitchen! I'm loving all the counter space. Mmm... chocolate buttercream! Making good use of the baking nook! :) Adios!

Boston Marathon, week #3

Last week was a great week for training - lots of easy runs, a V02-max workout, and my first long run that actually felt 'long'.  The goal was to get in 50-55 miles, and I ended up with 56ish, so right on target. Saturday's long run was glorious ! Temps in the 50's in January (!) makes me a very happy runner. I headed out for 16-17 miles and ended up with almost 18. And I remembered to bring fuel!  I tried out the blueberry-pomegranate Gu chomps, and they weren't my favorite. I ate one every 2 miles once I hit the 8-mile mark and they left a strange aftertaste. Pretty much as soon as the aftertaste went away, it would be time to eat one again. I'm thinking I will try something else next time.  This was the week of the 8's... what a monotonous bar graph. I'll try better next week to make it a little more exciting. Weekly Rundown 1.7.2013-1.13.2013 Mon - 8.2 miles easy Tues - 8.3 miles easy Wed - 4x1200m @ 4:29 (4:32, 4:31, 4:31, 4:34);